new allotment

• 10 Replies

mhshah

new allotment
« on: November 23, 2013, 17:08 »
Hi Guys

My first post :) I was able to successfully secure an allotment plot, medium sized, today after a much long wait (+1.5 years). Its fairly flat with some overgrowth of grass/vegetation which had been trimmed down.

To get the process started somebody has suggested that i just get horse manure and just layer the whole plot. i.e. over the grass/weed/vegetation and I am now unsure how to proceed. Shall i get well rotted or fresh manure? do i need to get rid of the grass/weed/vegetation first?

Your words of advice will be much appreciated.

M Shah

diospyros

Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 17:52 »
My advice would be: mow it, put the mowings in a compost bin and don't do anything until February/March except read lots of allotmenting books and seed catalogues!  A layer of manure isn't going to do anything now except feed the weeds.

There will of course be many other methods suggested!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 17:55 »
Congrats on getting the plot M - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
There is a lot of advice here on 'how to' clear an overgrown plot and John has an article on it http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

Many "Schools of thought" - hand weed, cover, no-dig, weedkiller, rotavate or a combination of them (that's what I did).
Sounds like you are considering the no-dig method. I'm no expert with no-dig ("lasagne") but I think most would advise that any heavy-duty perennial weeds like docks, mares-tail, brambles etc should be dealt with first. Once those are taken care of you would probably be wise to put down a layer of cardboard or thick newspaper before putting the manure down.

Anyhow, I'm sure there will be someone along in a moment with something more "concrete".  :tongue2:

diospyros's point of view is a valid one - though I'd suggest covering the ground whilst you read and research - which should mean you'll be dealing with half dead/weaker weeds when you get going in Feb/March.
This is a good time of year to get a plot.
Above all enjoy yourself...

Cheers,
Balders

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 18:03 »
Hi there mhshah and congratulations on  getting your plot.

There are lots of suggestions on how best to proceed, and the link given by  Baldy about John Harrison's advice cannot be bettered imho

I would just like to add that this is a great time to get a  new plot, as there is time to get it cleared and covered to prevent further weed growth, to plan what you are going to grow and where next season, and of course to order seeds, seed potatoes etc to get you going too.

It could change your life for the better  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 18:20 »
Great to have your own plot now.. 1 1/2 years is a short wait!!

I got my plot in November a couple of years ago in a terrible state. I strimmed a bit, weeded a bit then layered with 4" of fresh horse manure / shavings. Then dug it in to two spade depths minimum. 18"-20" in most places. I started in the autumn / winter and finished digging in Spring. Then I forked in fertilizer and grew a fantastic first crop. My second crop was also layered with fresh horse muck / shavings and only dug one spade depth. Another brilliant year.  A lot of people say fresh stable muck need to decay and rot down but I disagree.. I have used it fresh for years in my home flowerbeds, on my roof-top garden, two garden shares and now in my plot.

So If you're up to some digging, I'd suggest you do the same. You need to just get stuck in and just do what you can each time you go to the plot. Remember it's fun and not a chore!! But also remember you do need to dig it - it wont do it it-self..

All the best... 

I'll pm you my web blog details as I'm not allowed to display it here on the post.  I think you will see from my blog site the outcome.

edited...
I see you cant accept PM's so take a look at my profile and you may find it. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 18:24 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 18:46 »
Welcome to the forum. I would say begin to dig it a bit at a time if the conditions allow, but probably the bulk will have to wait for the new season.

mhshah

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:47 »
Thank you all for your replies. The advice is very subjective, rich personal experiences from experienced individuals. Whilst away from the forum i also sought advice from a few other people and again its personal opinions. One person told me to get stuck in straight away, remove as much "dodo" dig in fresh manure and leave it whilst another said not to bother at all and just leave it until feb before seeding!! I have come to the conclusion that everybody has their own experience to convey.

I think as i have sometime on my hand now i will go down to the plot again and see what needs to be done in more detail.

Once again thank you all so much :). I am sure I will be back again. And GavinJConway i managed to find your blog, Many thanks

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:54 »
Don't forget to check out and read the diaries on this web site - full of photos, and ideas for you to consider over the winter months.

You might consider starting one yourself so that when you hit the wall and think you are not making progress you can review how far you have come.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26 »
Thank you all for your replies. The advice is very subjective, rich personal experiences from experienced individuals. Whilst away from the forum i also sought advice from a few other people and again its personal opinions. One person told me to get stuck in straight away, remove as much "dodo" dig in fresh manure and leave it whilst another said not to bother at all and just leave it until feb before seeding!! I have come to the conclusion that everybody has their own experience to convey.

I think as i have sometime on my hand now i will go down to the plot again and see what needs to be done in more detail.

Once again thank you all so much :). I am sure I will be back again. And GavinJConway i managed to find your blog, Many thanks

You will always get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Just see what will suit you and do what you can cope with.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 22:18 »
Do you have a library near by?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mikegm

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 17:41 »
Congrats, I too have just secured my first Allotment....5 rods one of the chaps told me. Have already put in a few hours digging :D :D :D plus a bit of tidying up!!

xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 10:21
by Goosegirl
xx
new allotment! got me going again.

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 10:23
by Yorkie
xx
New Allotment

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:55
by jono2507
clip
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2015, 18:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 36 queries.