Building your own Chicken run plans....

• 5 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Building your own Chicken run plans....
« on: April 09, 2012, 21:50 »
Hey all, i'm thinking about building my own chicken run in the next couple of months and have been looking for some plans/instructions which seem quite difficult to come by without paying some kind of fee for the privilege!  i have found this page which loos interesting, and thought if we could share links we may be able to help each other stockpile some building plans. Apologies if this kind of thread already exists, i will wait to be advised, in the meantime check out this link with step by step plans to build a chicken run for free :)

http://www.selfsufficientme.com/blog/view/357/how_to_build_a_quail_or_chicken_run_in_10_easy_steps__part_1_
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

grinling

Re: Building your own Chicken run plans....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 22:29 »
They have forgotton to keep one area dry so they don't get rained and snowed on. Also keeps food dry.
Some reccomend weld mesh to stop foxes biting their way in.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11 »
Yeah I think he added clear currugated roofing a few weeks after it was built. Yeah ... know your foe and defend accordingly!

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 15:17 »
Im still wanting to keep chickens but moneys a bit tight to buy materials etc for setup but i'd be interested in seeing plans and designs for when I eventually take the plunge.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 15:43 »
Dig the mesh in to the ground about 1 foot, it will deter foxes digging under it then, and like has been said already shelter from sun, and rain/snow etc
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Selfsufficientme

• Self Sufficient Me
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:04 »
Yes, it is certainly true that I needed to amend the build on my quail/chicken run to make it more weather friendly. I do have a large weather proof house where the quail can stay dry but this wouldn't be suffice if you were housing chickens (I have a separate chicken house for my chickens and I don't need a proper run for them).

Even though the quail were able to stay dry and the food stations were covered (and dry) they still had to come out from the house at some stage and consequently got wet during long rainy periods. I recently solved this problem by adding on a poly roof.
Back to chickens, it doesn't snow where I am but in a colder region tacking some marine ply at one end would be a good cost-effective idea (essentially closing off from the elements). Then, nesting boxes etc could be incorporated at that one end with "reach -in" access from the outside - should work nicely. My run design is just a guide to give people ideas really  :)

This run was the cheapest (but robust) design I settled on. If I didn't have to battle predators, and subtropical rain, the build cost would be much cheaper. I think once you have a good frame up that's the most important part, then, how you make the run walls and roof is just a matter of assessing the needs for your part of the world. Cheers  :)  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:55 by joyfull »

xx
The process is finished - building a chicken run

Started by Elcie on Chicken Chat

50 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 17:16
by Elcie
xx
Plans for next year

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 10:43
by ANHBUC
xx
The best laid plans!

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 20:19
by traacyken
xx
Vintage Ark Plans to download

Started by kegs on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 12:09
by kegs

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.