Squashed By The Elements

• 13 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Squashed By The Elements
« on: May 04, 2011, 00:08 »
Well having gambled with planting out last Sunday squash seedlings (about 2 inches high) into our plot, was disappointing to see them wiped-out over-night and got me ponderring on what may have caused such a rapid decline. Here are the potential culprits abd would greatly appreciate any thoughts more experienced growers than my newbie self have on the matter.

Soil

I had two weeks ago dug in, and hoed daily, very dry manure into the plot. I t was not at smelling by the time of planting but I thought maybe it was too strong for the squash?

Lack Of Hardening

Prior to planting out they had been indoors in pots and doing very well, they had not though been hardened prior to being moved into the plot.

Wind Chill

In our part of the world the past three days have see fairly strong winds and made me think if, overnight, along with a wind chill factor, the temperatures were just too low for them

All Of The Above

A lethal combination did for them?

I had as a contingency kept three squash potted at home and shall be very reluctant to transplant until conditions improve. Until then would welcome any advice or shared experiences on the sensitivities and needs of the humble squash

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Squashed By The Elements
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 00:32 »
What variety of squash had you planted?
Cheese makes everything better.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 00:41 »
Hi, it's Butternut Squash

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:57 »
It was the weather that did em  :(

Squash are very awkward, as as you didnt harden them off they werent prepared.

Im worried about mine in my cold GH!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:21 »
Young squashes are delicate little things; temperatures below 10C at any time are a problem for them, frost is of course fatal!

The chilling from the wind will certainly not have helped either, and you would need exceptionally favourable conditions to get away with not hardening them off first.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31 »
I move my squash into the minni greenhouse in the garden for around 4 weeks prior to planting out.
After 2 weeks i take them out in the morning and return them on an evening then plant them out the first week of June.
I do the same with my french and runner beans.

I have been caught out by very late frosts before by planting out in May so it's always June now.
I used to be too eager to get the plants in the ground and suffered complete crop losses  because of it but i have learned now (the hard way)  ::)
Where i live the warmer season seems to start later and finish later too so planting out 4 weeks later than i would like doesn't seem to affect the cropping.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00 »
I've not sown any of mine yet! 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:04 »
It's sad but we do keep repeating on the Forum........... that you shouldn't plant tender crops out until night time temperatures are reliably above 10 degrees.
The wind makes things worse, but even without them it is just still too cold, only 3C here last night  :(

(I see you were actually warned of the risks of frost in your topic about squash on 1st may, so you did know the risk involved....sow some more seeds an carry on...lesson learned ;) )
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:09 by mumofstig »

stompy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06 »

Blimey, mine all have 2 or 3 leaves and are in 3" pots.
There's only 3 weeks to planting out for me.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:07 »

Likewise, and when i do put them out i like them to be 12-18" diameter, the bigger the better.

stompy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:19 »
I find even with them at this stage i get some unripened fruits.

I sowed mine the first week in April in a heated prop then on the windowsill until i get 1 true leaf, this takes around 3 to 4 weeks from sowing.

Then pot on and out into the minni greenhouse (which i use as a cold frame i suppose really) for around 4 weeks through May, after 2 weeks they are out in the morning and back in in the evening, then into the ground the first weekend in June.

I sow my French and runner beans, squashes, pumpkins and courgettes all at the same time and treat the same.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39 »
Thanks all, it's a fair cop, it was me what did it by not waiting, Mumofstig a fair point, hands-up & lesson gained. I shall not be planting out my remaining three until my choc-ice starts to melt.

bigben

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46 »
I am the same Erainn, I have squash, sweetcorn and french beans I am desparate to plant out. The beans are getting a bit big, I am putting them out thru the day but returning them at night and might plant out a few this weekend as I have too many anyway.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 17:57 »
This is why we advise patience in sowing dates ... otherwise you get to late April / early May and then have difficulties nursing plants along for another month until you're past the last frost date  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Open to the elements

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 21:40
by johnyboy
exclamation
Squashed!

Started by MiklovesHerb(s) on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 21:21
by mumofstig
xx
Squashed For Space

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 10:55
by erainn
xx
Squashed too early

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 14:22
by WG.

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 37 queries.