Wildlife pond

• 14 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Wildlife pond
« on: September 23, 2010, 19:12 »
Hi,

As the growing season is coming to an end and I have more time on my hands now, I thought I'd build a wildlife pond in the garden to attract more visitors. Can't wait for the frogs to arrive  :)
My new pond.jpg

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: Wildlife pond
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 19:23 »
That looks really good  :) i'll be making a large one of these through the winter months in our back garden  ;)

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 19:24 »
i'm gunna make a small one next spring for the dragonflies  :)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 19:44 »
I like the little touches like the log pile and the gravel escape route :)

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 19:45 »
That looks great!  I started with one at the plot and now have one in the garden too.  If you know someone with a pond it might be worth asking them if you could have some of their frogspawn when it arrives next year as that will really get you off to a flying start.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 20:26 »
When I dug up my maincrop spuds, which are next to the pond, I found an enormous toad living right in the middle of them. I thanked him nicely for eating all the slugs so they didn't eat my spuds and left him a bit of undergrowth to hide under.

I once spent an entire afternoon watching a dragonfly larvae slowly crawl up a reed in my garden pond. When he got to the top he rested for a bit, slowly spread his wings, warmed them up for a while, then flew away. It was utterly fascinating :)

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 23:04 »
I have a nice deep pond made from an old asbestos water tank. escape route is made by building a slope of broken slabs and stones on a slant from the bottom to one end. A dustbin lid gives shade over the escape end and an upturned piece of guttering is on the bottom for frogs to dive under.  It didn't take long for grass and weeds to cover over the dustbin lid so it has kind of naturalised.

The frogs are brilliant for keeping slugs down.

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19 »
Never really liked ponds before, cant stand water features and that trickling water sound but building this wildlife pond has really got me interested. I,ve been growing veg in my garden for a few years now and try to be as organic as possible; attracting wildlife with plants but the pond should bring in many more creatures. 

I,ve had to fill it with mains water as we have had little rain here and my water butts were empty so I'm wondering how long it will be before it naturalises (if that's the right term').  I've ordered some native plants online and I might change the border planting gradually; just filled up the spaces with plants I already had in the garden but I'd like some irises and for it to look a little more natural.

It's all very exciting :)

evie2

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 18:51 »
Hi Sue, you'll be surprised how quickly frogs, toads, newts, flying insects etc find your pond :D

If you have to use tap water, run it very fast and hold your hose so the water comes from high up :D

Evie and I spend many a happy afternoon by the pond :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 16:15 »
The pond conservation trust say you should let your pond fill, and empty, naturally AND let creatures and plants come of their own accord, not to introduce your own. I dug a pond and left it; one year later and it's teeming with life.

The edge of the pond is the 'busy' area, even when the water temporarily disappears when it's hot and dry. Certain creatures appreciate this as it mirrors what occurs naturally. It's prime real estate for them, so no need to top up your pond.

Apparently we're losing our natural ponds hand over fist.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 14:11 »
We have 3 ponds, all different sizes dotted round the gardens, all left to there own devises, levels go up and down, the ponds are teeming with life year :D

I do take some ice off but not much but the snow stays put :lol:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 14:51 »
Ours does get some leaves from the horse chestnut, and I do occasionally fish a few of those out because if you don't they start to smother it. We always have a full carpet of that pond weed over the surface as well. I don't disturb that cos I figure that's the way nature intended it and it doesn't seem to bother the wildlife.

Lee1978

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 16:40 »
That looks really good :). i would be interested in creating a pond down at the plot. How would you prevent the water from stagnating?
Lee

evie2

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 18:15 »
Aerating  plants :D

Lee1978

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 18:17 »

xx
Wildlife ponds

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:18
by PAH48
xx
wildlife in your plot??

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 09:47
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Some pics of the plot (and wildlife !)

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 22:38
by fibilou
xx
My wildlife-friendly allotment (Video)

Started by Puenktchen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 04:32
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 35 queries.