temporary fencing query

• 2 Replies

snow white

temporary fencing query
« on: August 14, 2012, 14:04 »
Hoping to put my chooks on my allotment in the autumn.  I do have a coop and run  which I was intending just to place in a new spot every other day or so.  I have devided my allotment into four areas and the chooks would have one area (about 5 metres by 7 metres).  I have two chickens at the moment.  I am now thinking perhaps if I cordoned the area off then they could free range for a season.  The idea being that next season I would change the area and grow veg in the manured area!  So, my question is- what is suitable for temporary fencing to keep chooks in and foxes out.  One of my chooks is flighty (my welsummer) and I worry she might just fly out of the little electric fences available.  They would have one area each season to manure and clear the ground ready for the crop the following spring.  So any advise?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: temporary fencing query
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 16:01 »
if you are not going to be around all the time then the run will need to be completely fox proof. So it will need a roof and the sides either digging down or outwards. Why not just take them down for a couple of hours whilst you are there to keep an eye on them but clip the wings of the flighty one (even then she may still be able to fly off).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

Re: temporary fencing query
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:08 »
Electric fencing and clip one wing. You would be able to give them access to bare beds during the winter and they would help to clear off slugs - if you do this make sure you worm them :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Temporary Pens

Started by Vi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 04:42
by Vi
xx
How much space for temporary run & general advice please

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 15:36
by kopperdrake
xx
How to make temporary chicken feed from supermarket foods?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:17
by nuzuki
xx
Fencing...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 19:09
by new chooks

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 39 queries.