Temporary Pens

• 9 Replies

Vi

Temporary Pens
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:34 »
Hi there everyone,

I've just been reading through another topic and came accross a response where someone had made their own temporary pens using chicken wire,  Danmegal is the person's Login Name.

Is it possible to ask for directions?  We're about to establish a 'proper' vegie patch and we'd like to keep the chooks out but still let them out daily.  Temporary pens would allow them to access different parts of the property without ruining our vegies :) 

Thanks heaps!

Vi

DanMegal said:
"I to have to balance chickens, dogs and young children in my garden. The chickens are based at the bottom of the garden with a fixed run (dirt), however I bought 10m of chicken wire from wilkinsons (cheap) which I use to make temporary pens"

poppies

Re: Temporary Pens
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:37 »
Hi I hope you dont mind be butting in but a good way of keeping the chicken wire in place is to use road pins, the metal rods they keep the orange netting up with on building sites . you just thread them down through the wire - you can get them from screwfix

this makes it really easy to move it about

Vi

Road pins?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:41 »
Hi there,

You're definately not butting in, any tips are greatly appreciated, Thank you.  Where would someone get road pins?  Are they like star pickets which have to be driven into the ground?

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:13 »
I made hurdles with wooden lats and chicken wire.

They are 2m x 1m and very lightweight.  I just tied them together with garden wire.

If you have a staple gun, you could easily make 8-10 in an afternoon.

danmegal

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:55 »
Hi, I have 10m of the chicken wire with small canes threaded through at metre intervals which can be tapped into the ground. Gives me the flexibility to move the chickens all around the garden making a temp pen whatever size and shape I want. However I only have the chucks in this pen when somebody is at home as it is in no way fox (predator) proof and also the chickens can get out. I have also used the same stuff to put round my veg's (helps keep the kids and dogs off). Can easily be rolled up and stored when not being used.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:27 »
i do exactly the same thing - bamboo canes threded down and into the ground - except it lives permanently round the veg rather than round the chickens - it suits my lazy side as i don't have to keep moving it to accommodate the chickens!
 :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:53 »
Mine's the same. I have the chicken wire round the veg. I stapled it to garden stakes and it's lasted pretty well. Just remember that chicken wire is great at protecting veg from poultry and not so good at protecting chickens from foxes.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:43 »
Just remember that chicken wire is great at protecting veg from poultry and not so good at protecting chickens from foxes.

yep - remember it keeps chickens out!

raeburg

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 14:48 »
The poles for electric fencing can be used to attach chicken wire to as well.

Vi

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:42 »
Excellent ideas! thank you.  The wood slats look really easy to make.  And the canes or bamboo are good ideas too. I'll have to see what's available at the recycle depot.  I'd like to put the chickens in different parts of the garden to help me weed a bit :)  this will also keep them out of the vegie patch when we finally start it :)

thank you again!
Vi

xx
Pens

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 20:53
by milly8
xx
fixed pens

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 08:37
by Oakdalebirds
xx
fold away pens

Started by jjmack on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 09:20
by Sassy
xx
Broody arks/pens in Essex?

Started by Sparkle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by Caralou

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 39 queries.