ducks and chickens together?

• 11 Replies

monkeyboysee

« on: January 14, 2009, 11:35 »
can i keep ducks and chickens in the same place? i am looking to fence off the corner of some outbuildings; the roof is still ok, there are 2 other walls so only 2 to fence off.
do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal

Vember

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:57 »
Hi monkeyboy :D

Welcome to the Henhouse :)

I have 4 Call ducks in with some of my chickens, I would rather they went in their own shed but ducks have a habit of going where they want :lol:
I have put a small rabbit hutch in the coop for them to go into otherwise they'd get pooped on by the hens above at night :lol:

The other downside is the floor of the coop will get very wet, ducks are a lot dirtier than hens :) So it will need cleaning more regular :D

During the day they are running together but tend to keep themselves to themselves.

What size area are you looking at for the run ??

Sarah :D

monkeyboysee

cheers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:24 »
thanx, i need to measure up the main area / run. its a corner of an old farm building, the roof is till sound and there are 2 walls and a brick floor so i only have to fence off 2 sides, it must be a good 4m x 4mish without measuring, possibly longer. i will be able to let them out onto the land around when i am there, so there is quite a bit of area to wander around sometimes.

i have an old unused plastic rabbit hutch, would this be any good for either the ducks or the chickens?

Vember

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 13:16 »
A rabbit hutch is ok for a couple of small ducks like my calls for sleeping in :)

The other thing ducks do like to have is a small pond if this is possible, I have 3 of the small plastic toddler pools sunk into the ground, they also have a bath & a larger pond - but I have quite a few ducks :lol:

Using the existing walls you have sounds like a great idea :) Although I am hopeless with the measurement side of things, best to have a look at this :
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
The minimum recommended is 1 square metre run space per bird and 1 square foot coop space but I think most of us find that that is really a bare minimum and they need more than that to be happy and so that they don't trash it.
Mine have the bare minimum of space in the run but free-range in the garden most days. Like you mine are only locked in the run if I am not going to be back in time to lock them up (having already had one fox attack).

Hope that helps :D

Sarah :)

monkeyboysee

water?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 14:08 »
hi,

just to pick up on the water for the ducks, would they need something permanently in the run, or would something outside be ok? i ntend to let them out to roam whenever i can (but possibly not everyday), i have an old bath i could fill for them?

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 14:12 »
Hi monkeyboy.

Just to clarify, will they have outside access every day or would they be inside the building when you're not there ?

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 14:20 »
The general rule is they need something deep enough to dunk their heads in all the time, as they need to to keep their eyes clean :)
A bucket is as good as anything for that job :D

Personally I think they should have pond access at all times even if it's a cheap blow up paddling pool- but that's just me :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 14:23 »
Agreed Sarah. But be warned of course that they soon learn to sit on the edge (as you'll testify to) and empty half the water out to make a mud patch  :roll:  :lol:

And hens love to drink out of muddy puddles too, so be careful where you site the pool/pond. You can never underestimate the mess they'll make between them  :wink:

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 14:31 »
:lol: Rob it is true, boy do they love making mud baths :lol:
The mud is the only downside I have to keeping ducks - lost track of how many times I've nearly ended up in the pond with them  :lol:
All they do is stand and laugh at me  :roll:

Vember

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 14:39 »
A quick question Monkeyboy :)

Regarding the housing - you said that you are going to fence off the corner where the out buildings are, and that you would let them out to roam whenever you could.

Does this mean they will be "indoors" at all other times or will you be making a house area with a outdoor run attached in the 4x4 area you mentioned :D

monkeyboysee

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 16:53 »
i may be gettingb terminology wrong or just dodo at describing.

i have an area about 6m x 6m, probably bigger, its basically the corner of an old farm building with no outer walls, the floor is brick. i intend to fence the other 2 "walls" to create a compound. i am going to put chickens and possibly ducks into this compound. when i am there i will leave the compound door open, they can roam all over as it is the back of the property away from the roads, just wheat fields.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 17:50 »
Our misundestanding MBS ( :) ).

Soudns ideal in that case. Any photos that you can post up for us nosey gets ??  :D

Or when you get it sorted for the livestock.

Keep us posted.

Rob 8)

xx
Ducks & Chickens

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 20:26
by Topscaff
xx
Chickens/Ducks

Started by Graham on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 21:26
by slowef
xx
Ducks and chickens together?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:50
by violet
xx
Chickens and Ducks together

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 14:34
by Sarah Mitchell

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.