Clay Soil

• 40 Replies

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: Clay Soil
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 23:05 »
I've got heavy clay soil on the piece of land I'm turning into an allotment. A friend of mine is in the building trade and has said he can get me something very similar to sharp sand called Mersey grit. It's basically sharp sand but it's got some salt in it, due to it being dredged from somewhere near the river Mersey. Not sure how much salt is in it, I'm wondering if it will be OK to improve my soil

old adage, if you have any doubts they are for a very good reason.
all you need is copious dressings of manure to get the bacterial and worm activity back into gear.
time is the growers best friend when it comes to soil conditioning.never add anything you are unsure of.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 21:16 »
would common beach sand work? or would that be too salty too?
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 21:59 »
Beach sand will also have salt in it, I'd have thought.

You also can't take sand from the beach without permission - I think from the local council.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 21:50 »
I'd give up on the free sand idea, like Yorkie says it actually does belong to someone. It will also have loads of salt in it.
Better off digging it then adding lime, which all should be done before the 1st frosts, so put it on the "to do" list for next autumn.  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 23:03 »

you need to listen to previous advice, otherwise what is the point of knowledgeable people posting to your requests.
get muck and grit 4mm diameter in.leave the beach sand where it belongs on the beach.
buy some oyster shells 25 kg sack.they are used for calcium input into hens eggs,blooming good soil conditioner as well.
just dont add lime,they are full of it.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 00:06 »

you need to listen to previous advice, otherwise what is the point of knowledgeable people posting to your requests.

That was my first post on the subject I think you'll find and the previous posters had differed on their attitude to saltiness - I dont think there is much wrong with looking for clarity. If you always take the first answer you see as gospel on the internet you are in for an interesting life

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 00:12 »

That was my first post on the subject I think you'll find and the previous posters had differed on their attitude to saltiness - I dont think there is much wrong with looking for clarity. If you always take the first answer you see as gospel on the internet you are in for an interesting life

ok calm down yas a bit feisty.follow the simple instuctions and if you get stuck a bit.bounce back with some more.

roller

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 09:15 »
There's really no one easy answer I would take a multi pronged approach, plenty of organic matter, sand, and don't forget lime.
Lime alters the properties of clay making it form tiny clumps rather than laying close together.So there's more air and so more drainage it's called flocculation

Also don't forget a good rough dig before the winter, don't walk on it till it's ready & a good old fashioned double dig won't go amiss either  :)

I'm a soil scientist and this guys advice is spot on
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:19 by roller »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 10:49 »
Thanks for your professional advice Roller.

We all thing Richy knows a thing or two or two thousand about gardening too  :D

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 12:09 »
It takes time but it can be done.  I'm lucky with my allotment soil but at home I had really heavy clay.  Years ago, I used to get hold of spent mushroom compost when it was cheap.  That plus lots of garden compost and well rotted manure eventually turned it into a friable soil.  I also spread any spent potting compost small areas at a time.  You'll get there eventually.  Good luck  :)

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19 »
Or for the slower natural approach add loads of organic matter on top and loads of mulch and let the worms break it up for you.
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey
xx
Clay soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:37
by al78
xx
Clay soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:44
by subaru
xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 34 queries.