Clay soil

• 8 Replies

steve chip

Clay soil
« on: April 19, 2016, 22:00 »
Hello all. I was wondering if there was any tips on how to improve clay soil? I am on the south coast and my soil is good enough to make pots out of  >:( are there any suggestions on how to improve it? Thanks for any help  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Clay soil
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 22:13 »
On my pld allotment site the old boys who have plots that were pure clay, added grit and course sand to their soil to make it workable and improve the drainage. They manure only one third of their plots, for the potatoes, each year, so it takes 3 years before the whole plot has been manured. Quite economical in time and effort, as well as in manure if you have to pay for it. If you can get it free add as much as you can get - for the same reason make as much plot compost as you can

Deep digging makes the world of difference to clay though. Especially if you dig deeply in autumn and leave the frosts to break the soil up. the more you work it the better the soil is, because you let air in to the soil, which in turn improves drainage :)
Hard work, but worth it!

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 22:39 »
You can add agricultural gypsum which causes the clay particles to clump together to create 'crumbs'.

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:11 »
I added loads of organic matter, used a no dig raised bed system too.  So home Mede compost, old compost from pots, spent mushroom compost, seaweed, rotted leaves.  Basically anything you can get your hands on!  Also I make a drill and fill wth Mpc put seeds in then cover with Mpc as otherwise can't get find tilts for seeds. Also start a lot of stuff in modules or pots to plant out.  Soil ore try good now. But have to keep doing it.  Clay soil v good for nutrients,

al78

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48 »
Add as much organic matter as you can, and coarse grit. Mark beds out with paths between and avoid walking on the beds where possible (if the beds are about 5-6 feet wide you will be able to reach the middle with a hoe or spade whilst standing on the side path). Keep cultivating it and adding organic matter every year, it will improve gradually over time but don't expect fast results, think of improving the soil as a long term project. If you have problems getting enough organic matter, try growing some green manure. The overwintering varieties may help stop the soil getting pounded by winter rains into a compacted claggy mess. If there looks to be a cold spell, breaking up the soil with rough digging into clods and letting the overnight frosts break down the clods may work (it hasn't for the last couple of winters for me, but that is because hard frosts have been notable by their absence).

Jackypam

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 22:53 »
Compost, manure, dig.  Compost, leafmold dig, compost manure dig, old compost from pots and bags, dig.  Then start from the beginning again!  Oh, and grit or sand, or both, dig? 

lettice

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 15:37 »
Well worth searching these forums, this question often comes up.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07 »
As said clay soil is usually rich with nutrients so not all bad
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48 »
I agree with everything that's been said. Dig a small but deep hole and see how far the clay goes down. If it is still there at the bottom of your hole, then you need instant results involving adding grit by double-digging it into the bottom of your trenches. Backfill your trenches as you go with the dug-out soil but incorporate more grit, manure, compost and whatever you have to hand. Adding lime and gypsum will take time to show results but you can do that as the seasons progress.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey
xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac
xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy
xx
Clay Soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 12:19
by WebSiteEvo

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.