Heavy clay soil that is rock hard!

• 27 Replies

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
Re: Heavy clay soil that is rock hard!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 19:15 »
I know it has been said before but I had a similar issue and looking back the best two things I did were ;-
 1. Buy a mattock - got mine with a yellow plastic handle - cost me £20 - but it is the only thing to break up at the clay, hand a lot of use and still going strong.
 2. Got to know local horse owner and got barrow loads of manure to dig in every autumn.
The only other thing you need is patience....will take a few years to get the soil in good shape - but it is worth it - I get great veg now.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 13:51 »
The product Dumpling was trying to remember is called Gypsum. There is a commercial one called Clay Breaker but I suspect it is the same thing but more expensive. Liming will help but, as mushroom compost usually contains lime as well as manure/straw, try and get some of this - two for the price of one!  :)

Good point.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 14:58 »
Gypsum is about the best flocculator of clay there is, mainly because it's more soluble than many other common calcium salts, and has the added benefit of not altering the pH of the soil one way or the other.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 16:46 »
Liming will help but, as mushroom compost usually contains lime as well as manure/straw, try and get some of this - two for the price of one!  :)

I used mushroom compost for a couple of years and it did make a difference. Can't get it any more as the company I used to buy it from went out of business - beaten by Polish and Irish mushroom growers. >:(

jaydig

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 20:14 »
I had my plot six years ago, and found out that the topsoil had all been removed a few years before that by the local council, leaving heavy, clay subsoil, with no life in it, and no worms to speak of. The few worms I did find were 'grey' looking and very sluggish. Six years, tons and tons of manure, hours of back breaking work smashing away at it with a fork, and removing stones, brick ends, etc., the soil is now a lot better. Its fertile, and  there are loads of very active worms, although if it gets too wet or too dry its a problem to dig. I made three compost bays and compost absolutely everything except the really nasty perennial weeds, which I burn and then add the ash to the compost bays. Keep chipping away at it and it will gradually get better.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13 »
Some great posts here, has helped my understanding as I too have lovely London clay soil plus lots of gravelly stones lol. Very fertile though! I dig in lots of compost and manure but when planting seeds directly I still need to make drills/holes and plant into compost. Guess it takes years to get a nice friable soil lol...

Just back from the plot and was chatting to a neighbour about the clay soil. He said the thing that worked the best by far was digging in loads of mushroom compost. Will be on the lookout this Autumn
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 15:07 by Middlesexbloke »

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 18:05 »
I found you had to dig in mushroom compost every year. If you miss, the soil reverts to type. >:(

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 22:35 »
I found you had to dig in mushroom compost every year. If you miss, the soil reverts to type. >:(

Interesting, thank you for that. Was hoping the mushroom compost would alter the structure for at least a couple of years!

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 22:50 »
You need to make lots of homemade compost and get a leaf mould bin started. Also if and when you have an allotment bonfire, save the ashes as these help with the job of lightening soil structure.  I have a Chillington hoe which I find very good for knocking big lumps of soil on the head

Good luck with it  :)

Anton

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 13:08 »
Yes, the idea is to incorporate as much organic matter every year. One thing I did, maybe a bit excentric, was just to turn the patch I required just before planting and sewing and then placing the weeds from that part on the patch behind me to keep the soil underneath moist until I was ready to use that patch and so on.

Anton

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 15:03 »
Top marks to the council who took the topsoil off the allotments  :unsure:

If there are parts of the plot you don't need to use this year, you could try sowing a green manure. There are some that have deep roots and will help to break up the soil for you. This looks like a good reference:

http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/advice/choosing-the-right-green-manure/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 15:07 by NewSteve »
Never stop learning

Headgardener22

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 17:26 »

Interesting, thank you for that. Was hoping the mushroom compost would alter the structure for at least a couple of years!
It depends how much you put on. What I said was a bit black and white. When I put 9 inches of mushroom compost on one small area, it lasted two years but anything less than that didn't work.

Garden compost & leafmold however, seems to work a bit better, it doesn't seem to breakdown quite as quickly.

Goosegirl

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 11:57 »
I echo HG22 regarding how quickly mushroom compost breaks down, but it is good stuff, smells lovely, and you get a free crop of mushrooms as well!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
whats best for clay/rock hard soil over winter

Started by newatthis on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots
xx
Heavy grey clay soil - help

Started by Tina&Tony on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 11:31
by Tinbasher
xx
carrots and heavy clay soil.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:27
by pushrod
xx
Potatoes in heavy clay soil

Started by mctoon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 11:04
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 33 queries.