confused .com

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

confused .com
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:57 »
we got fed up with staying indoors so we went for a little drive to a garden centre yesterday  we thought this mite be a waste of time but the drive out would at least a break away from home  but when we got there it was open its only a small G/C and we where the only customers there keeping to strict  social distancing we bought some seed potatoes and onion sets

and on the way home we passed bigger Garden centre  that was open and had quite a few cars in the car park so I'm  bit confused over all this lock down some say you've  got to stay indoors that we have been sticking to except to do essential shopping or taking a walk to stay safe

yet most places are on lock down garden centres appear to be exempt ? but i have to say that little trip out made all the deference so here we are again locked up till whenever

GraciesGran

Re: confused .com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 14:08 »
Garden centres are exempt this time.  We've just been to a small one near us, combined with grocery shopping.  It was a delight to wander round looking at plants, treated myself to some sweet peas seeds.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 19:28 »
Are garden centres in Wales open?

Mintyboy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 15:38 »
It would seem that the government has finally realised the benefits of gardening to our mental health and  has allowed garden centres to stay open. I just hope people only go when necessary and not use them as a day out.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 13:09 »
i must admit i am somewhat surprised garden centres are still aloud to open when the rules say stay at home stay safe don't travel unless its absolutely necessary given that food shopping is a necessity and i take my hat of to those shops and supermarkets that have enforced the wearing of masks on there premises and shame on those who cant' be bothered to do this :mad: perhaps if the authorities where to have word in there ear they mite re consider as they could be shut down if the rules get tougher on wearing masks in shops maybe that mite be the answer to those sort of shops or supermarkets i hope  :mad:

we decided to go to our local garden centre today a bit concerned about traveling but then again garden centres are still open for business and we needed some compost  we got our onion sets seed potatoes not in yet when we got there we was there first customer and as they operate a strict  distancing policy masks and hand sanitation there very good at enforcing there rules no mask no shop and as there only a small business that's good policy when we left more people where arriving to shop?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 18:51 »
If shops automatically refuse entry to anyone without a mask then they will be guilty of disability discrimination.  As the legislation recognises, there are some people who, for medical reasons, are unable to use a face covering of any sort. 

Yes, there will be some people who are just playing the rules by not wearing a mask and claiming medical excuse. But there will be others who genuinely cannot. Most of these medical reasons will be related to what are known as 'hidden' disabilities. To make assumptions about anyone is to judge.  Perhaps we need to be kinder to each other.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 20:10 »
All the shops enforcing mask wearing are allowing people in without them if they have a valid reason.

From the other side of the fence (part-time in a supermarket for 1 of my jobs), there are an awful lot of people with double standards over all of this.  They come in with their mask exempt badges, but some come every day, others always come with at least 1 other person or even in groups, some ignore the distancing and one-way systems and walk straight up to others.  Masks protect others from you, so if you have no mask, you really should be doubly careful in my book.

We get customers moaning all the time about it and rightly so.  People are not stupid and tbh I can understand their irritation with people who clearly don’t give a fig about them.

I work in a small shop and we know a lot of our regulars. The ones with genuine reasons are way more considerate and most of them will wear a face shield.  These are not as effective, but at least show willing  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 00:21 »
Are garden centres in Wales open?
We've got one near us that is open but please consider if you really have to go out. It looks like we're getting the infection rates down in Wales but they can go up again awfully fast.
Going onto masks - I'm afraid we've little tolerance for the 'can't be bothered' and 'too good for the rules' brigades. It doesn't seem unreasonable to sympathetically ask people to provide some proof or good reason as to why they can't wear a mask. And shops that serve non-wearers are putting profit ahead of the lives of their staff and other customers. We should treat those who don't behave properly in the same way as we do drunk drivers who put the lives of others at risk.
Had to laugh at a woman who complained the 'police ambushed her' after she drove to a beauty spot with her child and the terrible police 'made her feel like a criminal' just for breaking the law. Strangely she didn't seem to get much sympathy from Walesonline readers.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:41 »
I understand why some shops are enforcing this policy, but I would like to see some of the head office bods on the door trying it for themselves.

‘Special’ customers are part of the job and do not bother retail workers most of the time, but all the staff here have been abused, called names and  treated with contempt on a regular basis for months now, just for politely asking for people to follow rules.

I work in a ‘nice’ area of the town. I wouldn’t want to know how awful the job of being on the door in a rougher end of town would be like  :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 13:30 »
There's a lot of bouncers out of work at the moment - they're used to enforcing a dress code and denying entrance to undesirables. Semi serious suggestion.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 13:57 »
There's a lot of bouncers out of work at the moment - they're used to enforcing a dress code and denying entrance to undesirables. Semi serious suggestion.

True  :lol:

The fakers will just smirk and claim medical reasons for not wearing a mask though.  You can ask if they have a reason, but have no right to any further information.  I think that is why not all shops are doing it.  It doesn’t really prevent these type of people coming in. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 19:33 »
John and others i really  find your replies really make sense of all this I haven't got ant time whatsoever from those who hide behind disability discrimination tale and tell that to those who have lost love ones to this pandemic because those who don't wear a mask or face shield are guilty of possibly spreading this covid to those  most at risk there just so selfish B?

in my opinion on the spot fines £200 second offence £400 + put on the criminal register and anyone giving abuse to shop staff should be arrested and banged up for the day or night because these people are taking the ? and there just sticking two fingers up at those who are in the front line of all this like the NHS who are doing there best to save lives together with all the other front line workers

if you caused any disruption in the pub you where quickly ejected head first of the premises with a size 10 up your jack and told don't come back till you can behave your self

we have relations in Wales and its very bad down there although they where strict in enforcing the rules they have really suffered through this covid and i wish them all the luck in the world to beat this deadly virus asap

and now we have people coming in from other parts of the world with possible covid thank god we are shutting our boarders as our NHS is stretched  to breaking point without bringing any other strain in the country all i can say is i pray to god we can beat this covid and get back to some sort of normality
god bless the NHS your doing a great job thank you

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 23:42 »
I really don't see a problem in requiring people to either wear a mask or have a letter from a health professional exempting them. It doesn't need to even state why. I really think people not wearing a mask who can is on a par with drunk driving. It puts lives at risk.

As for travelling to visit places, I've seen comments like 'if you get done, it's less than a parking fine' - so I'd up the fine to much higher levels. Family of 5 visiting Snowdon, that'll be £5,000! Have a nice day :)

Remember in France you couldn't leave the house without a letter stating where you were going and for what reason. I think they're imposing a curfew now as well. None of us like having our freedom limited, it's like house arrest for us but when your freedom means possibly killing other people you have to accept it.

We drove down to the postbox in the village today and were very naughty, we looped back the long way instead of a U turn. That was the excitement of the day...

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 17:06 »
hats of to West Midlands police following those idiots :mad: descending on Birmingham plenty of on the spot fines that's the way they do things in Birmingham no messing bring it on  :mad:

lets see if any other police force in the country is going to follow the W/M don't these idiots flouting the law have any thought for those in the front line of  the NHS trying to save lives  >:(

xx
Baptiste - Confused

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2021, 22:40
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 54 queries.