Sunflower Competition 2013

• 77 Replies

WesleyM

Re: Sunflower Competition 2013
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2013, 23:27 »
How are you guys getting them to grow that big? Are they growing in pure dung or something. Im lucky if mine make 6ft - if they don't get chomped like this year and last! ::)
I'd like to know too!  I planted a row and treated them all the same, and one stopped at 4 ft and another went on to about 8 ft!

For mine, I really didn't anything too special. I hand-tilled that area just down to 6 inches, used a bag of cow manure and a bag of vegetable / garden soil for a large area (still like 90% natural soil) and watered often, especially in the beginning. I moved them to the back because the root system has all the free space in the world without the concrete house foundation in the way. I bought two types of sunflowers that have growing heights of 7-12 feet each.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2013, 20:43 »
No height to record here as my 'giant' turned into a tiddler, but the bees thought he was tasty nevertheless ......

:D. Best of luck everybody as the deadline looms !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40 »
Difficult decision here, as strictly no one has totally complied with the rules of showing the height with a measure. We do appreciate, however, the difficulty in measuring behemoths! We'll re-think this for next year.

carlmj did, however declare a height of 12' and has an object in the foreground to compare it with, (himself!). So he is declared the winner of the tallest sunflower.

Please bear with me whilst I prepare the photos to vote for the prettiest. Photomuckit decided to go into maintenance mode last night when I had the time to do it and I may be a bit busy today.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

smiley
Not the Sunflower Competition

Started by compostqueen on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 11:36
by compostqueen
thumbup
Sunflower Competition 2014

Started by DD. on General Gardening

206 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 20:15
by Annen
smiley
Sunflower Competition 2015

42 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 09:57
by Diddy Gardener
thumbup
Sunflower Competition 2012

160 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 07:26
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 38 queries.