asparagus’

• 11 Replies

colinc

asparagus’
« on: May 09, 2011, 21:57 »
I have planted 3 asparagus’ plants in a small prepared bed , all the that’s happened the 3 plants have produced single steams  which are very thin and have fern like foliage is this right. I am a newbie to vegetable gardening.  Do I just let them grow like this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 22:09 by colinc »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: asparagus’
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 22:06 »
That's often about the best they can manage in their first year; however many or few there are just leave them to it and practise being very patient (it's worth it in the end!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 22:34 »
I planted my crowns about 3 weeks ago and my plants are exactly as you describe. I think a few of the crowns may have begun sprouting secondary stems but they are all very spindly.  I wouldn't panic if I was you.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:33 »
They need lots of water and feed during the growing season, then it builds up the crown ready for subsequent seasons.

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54 »
What`s the best thing to feed then with?
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55 »
Any general purpose fertiliser will do (just be very careful when you hoe it in; the spears are very precious and although the roots are extensive they also grow quite near the surface.)

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20 »
I have planted 3 asparagus’ plants in a small prepared bed , all the that’s happened the 3 plants have produced single steams  which are very thin and have fern like foliage is this right. I am a newbie to vegetable gardening.  Do I just let them grow like this.

On a related note, we've had a similar thin asparagus frond appear in the raspberry bed (new plot to us this season, inherited the raspberries in situ).  Leave it, or try and move the crown?

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36 »
I have planted 10 crowns for the first time this year and they have grown 1 or 2 stems, tall & spindly - but I have been told that is the norm.

One thing I have noticed though, I thought i planted them deep enough the roots seem to have risen nearer to the surface.

I just earthed them up it a bit.  It covers the roots and supports the stems.

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37 »
I planted my Asparagus on the 2nd April

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69418.15

And out of the 10 crowns I planted 8 are up but are very thin and look like a feather could break them. It sounds like mine are the same as your so that probably means that is how they are at this stage in their growth.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55 »
Dont panic anyone! Asparagus is a long term project. You wouldnt expect much at first and you need to leave them be. You need a couple of years for spears to grow and produce leaves which will feed the roots. Cut the fronds down in autumn and earth up the rows and add manure  etc Even in third year, dont raid every spear that grows. It will all pay off eventually and you'll have lovely crops. Just be patient and dont be greedy in the first few years

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38 »
In the autumn once the fronds have dried cut them down and feed with a top dressing of compost / manure.
Paul

Robster

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 13:01 »
I planted mine last autumn.  All of the crowns have come through with one or two very spindly shoots.  I am just pleased they survived the winter.  I got them from Dodies I think. And they said it was OK to plant in the autumn- I had not read that in the books.  I had read about crowns being less succesful than from seed.  So doubly relieved.  Now much reassured by this board.  Thanks to all the experienced posters

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 40 queries.