mistletoe

• 3 Replies

sion01

mistletoe
« on: November 25, 2011, 18:25 »
About 5 years ago a neighbour asked me if he could have the berries off the mistletoe that we had bought to decorate the house.I had completly forgot about it until i was round there this afternoon and noticed a ball of green in the fork of an apple tree.He'd drilled 5-6 holes in the tree and pushed the berries in and one had taken and he had mistletoe.I don't have an apple tree large enough to try it on.Will it work with other trees?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: mistletoe
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 18:27 »

sion01

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 18:43 »
Great.I've got a hawthorn that I can experiment with.Pitty I won't get berries off the neighbour's plant though as the link say's you need a male and female plant.O well.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 19:16 »
If you google mistletoe seeds and find the link to somewhere in Tenbury you can buy seeds from them. They show a picture of a little girl in winter red with a muff.

You don't need to drill holes in the bark of the tree tho'. Five years ago I had my first go and made cuts in the bark of the apple tree and got zip. Tried the follwing year with a mixture of cutting and squidging still no luck. Then I got seeds from the place in Tenbury and I followed their instructions. I have about 8 plants growing strongly and getting big and strong.

My mum is seriously narked with me as she has had several goes over the years and had no luck.

They are not quite old enough to work out if they are make or female but it won't be long. When I know which I have I will cut out some of the  plants so that they don't put too much strain on the tree.

xx
Mistletoe

Started by jezza on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2013, 20:30
by Mrs Bee
xx
Mistletoe

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 16:51
by FRUITFULL
xx
Mistletoe

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 20:58
by Madame Cholet
xx
mistletoe plant

Started by big green bloke on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 07:12
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 36 queries.