gardeners delight

• 17 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
gardeners delight
« on: March 20, 2012, 20:34 »
Are these looking okay, I know a bit leggy.  It was my first set of seeds, I have others growing too, but just started them like a lot of the experienced gardeners say on here.  these were just a chance attempt first time growing anything from seed in my life, what do you think?
tomato seeds.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: gardeners delight
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 20:41 »
I've seen a good many that look a lot worse.

What's you next move with them? They're really going to take off soon with increasing light levels & day length.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 20:47 »
I have 12 others, of two different varieties, so I wasnt sure to continue with these as not sure they will make being leggy.  i have an unheated greenhouse and coldframe, but was just going to continue with the window ledge till I could move them, and see what others were doing on here.

mrs mud

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 20:58 »
I have grown Gardeners Delight the last four years and always been impressed with results.  I sort out my leggy ones by planting them extra deep when I pot on.  I think you have done really well, I was late sowing this year so mine only 2 inches at the mo
"Potters always play dirty!"

teabelly

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 21:09 »
I'm growing these this year but, like mrs mud, mine are only a couple of inches tall so far

Hoping to get some good results this year  :)

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 21:12 »
Thanks very much mrs Mud, the other varieties I have are only an 1" too.  These ones in the pic were from the pound shop!  The others are Thompson and Morgan.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 21:16 »
I was late sowing this year so mine only 2 inches at the mo

It's 20th March - how can you say you're late sowing!  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 21:18 »
I won't be starting mine for another 5 or 6 weeks  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 21:29 »
I really envy the naturally green fingered on here, I think you are so lucky.  Next year from what I have learnt on here I wont sow till late March. 

What I must say is when I got my first ever gardening mag in January a chart came with it, Tomatoes were to be sown between Feb and April, and I stuck it on my wall as a guidance.  On a lot of the tomato seed packs it states sow from January onwards.  On a pack of Mr Digwells gardeners delight, it states to sow between Jan and march?  So this is I guess a learning curve by learning from others, other than following pack instructions how else are newbies supposed to know.  I wish I had a gardening bud but I dont, but I will get to know the allotment people more in the summer I guess.

mrs mud

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 21:29 »

It's 20th March - how can you say you're late sowing!  :lol:

I thought I'd read on here (few years back) that the tradition is to sow toms on Boxing Day   :unsure:

I've always had that in mind but glad to know I'm not as lazy as I thought I was   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 21:31 »
Onions yes - tomatoes no!

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 21:34 »
Ours are still in the packet and might be started this week - just sowed a few '100's&1000's' indoors tonight to start, and that's even early for us !  

We dont have a proper heated greenhouse (just a paraffin heater) to sow tomatoes any earlier - night temperatures in the greenhouse over the last few days has averaged +2.5, so we'd be left with a long log-jam inside til we could move things outside.  Am sure we'll catch up come 'summer'  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 21:35 »
I love my gardeners delight toms!  As Mrs Mud said, when you transplant them, put them much deeper down in the pot.  They will thicken up and have a lovely strong root system.

The only toms I have coming through so far is 12 yellow plum, but I'm not allowed anything in the house this year, so mine are in my little unheated bubble wrapped greenhouse, inside my staging which is also bubble wrapped!

Packet instructions can only give general guidance because they can't know what part of the country those seeds will be sown in.  I have tried sowing tomatoes before and keeping them in the house, but then OH complains that things are in the way, so I end up late in sowing most things, but they soon catch up and I still usually get a good crop!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 22:42 by GrannieAnnie »

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 21:53 »
thanks for your lovely response Grannieannie, maybe there is hope yet.  the others shoudl be okay as they are very young yet.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 22:41 »
I'll be putting my toms in my polytunnel this year.  Couldn't do it last year as OH had it for storage.  When I'm in there picking tomatoes.  I am closely followed by my dog Penny.  she loves gardeners delight too and she is always hopeful that I'll drop some!   :lol:

xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78
xx
Gardeners delight

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 12:17
by Salmo
xx
Gardeners Delight Tomato

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:18
by sunshineband
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 00:16
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 34 queries.