Cleaning windows...

• 21 Replies

Growster...

Cleaning windows...
« on: October 28, 2021, 18:35 »
While Mrs Growster is away, I'm doing a bit of clearing up and especially, giving the windows a good seeing to!

I keep reading about vinegar, and while I've got the usual stuff from the supermarket, at this time of the year, the sun is so low, some of the smears just won't go away, so as a plea for help, can anyone explain how to get a decent result please?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning windows...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 20:08 »
A scrunched up ball of newspaper used as a final polish on dry windows does wonders Mr G  :)

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 20:10 »
Take a trip to screwfix and buy yourself a proper unger squeege. You can get a washer too if you're feeling flush, the difference between the trade quality and the cheap stuff is night and day. 

I clean my windows with water and drop of washing up liquid in a 1L spray bottle, quick scrub and with the washer and then drag the water off. Once you have dragging the water down the window sorted it's a quick job. Just don't be tempted to try messing with a cloth after. If they're still in need of a clean or you have a water line repeat the process.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 21:14 »
I find the karcher fluid that you dilute good, but since ours always get filthy before we do them I give them a good wash with washing up liquid and a good rinse off first then spray with the karcher stuff then use the karcher machine on them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 07:24 »
Thanks Folks! It's only the insides I'm doing, as we have a chap around every couple of months for the outside! He's better than me at negotiating the wistaria!

I'm on the newspaper trail at the moment with a sqish of Tesco Glass Cleaner, (had to buy some beer at Waitrose to get a free Daily Telegraph), but the final smears still hang around!

Maybe more elbow grease...?

MrsPea

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 08:04 »
We have a window cleaner come every six wks but the only thing is when he's been it rains the next day he also does inside if i ask him  :)
I Love my green house

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 10:52 »
I'm on the newspaper trail at the moment with a sqish of Tesco Glass Cleaner, (had to buy some beer at Waitrose to get a free Daily Telegraph), but the final smears still hang around!

Maybe more elbow grease...?

Just use it dry Mr G without the squish of glass cleaner.  If it is difficult to get right into the corners, dry kitchen roll is softer and can do the trick on small areas.  It just tends to fall apart quicker so is best saved for fine tuning  :)

Hope it was not too much of a hand wringing exercise to be forced to buy beer  ;)  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 11:04 »
I use a microfibre cloth for the final drying and polishing - it needs to be very clean, as do the windows as even the tiniest spot of grease will get smeared across the glass.  :(

(Despite having an extractor cooker hood I still manage to get grease marks on my kitchen window which is a least 6' away from the cooker ::) - a tad more washing up liquid is required for this one, followed by a rinse if necessary before the final polish.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 15:34 »
Whatever method I use I always get smears. I have a device that consists of a rolled-up sponge at one end that has a squeegee blade on its opposite side and the handle is extendable, though not to the upper floor ones - ha! 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 19:58 »
Today's newspaper came in well - Thanks All, and I got down to the sports pages in no time!

I'll need some more beer for tomorrow's freebie I'm afraid...

There again, I can light the fire with the colour supplement!

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 15:16 »
Today's newspaper came in well - Thanks All, and I got down to the sports pages in no time!

I'll need some more beer for tomorrow's freebie I'm afraid...

There again, I can light the fire with the colour supplement!

Best thing to do with it!  ::)

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 18:29 »
I've only just read this after coming in from cleaning my front windows with the old fashioned Windowlene.  The only disadvantage with this is that I thought the insides looked great, went out to clean the other side, then when I came back in I could see smears that I'd missed. So - buffed the insides again, decided some of the smears were outside - so outside I went. Came back inside and yes, you've guessed it - buffed the inside again, then the outside........................!  Gave up after going in and out more times than one of those little weather people that used to go in and out of their little house.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 18:30 »
Ha ha ha, Goosey, I had to read some of it with my lunch, and there was a huge article about the budget, which didn't mention the 0.0000000001% increase us oldies are going to get on our pensions - y'know, the ones we've paid into all our lives!

Hey-ho, reading newspapers is certainly bad for your health! Best use them for the windows!

(Is Fortnum and Mason distilled white balsamic vinegar the right stuff to use on windows? It's quite expensive at £300.00 a tablespoon...)!

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 13:43 »
In answer to your question, no. A kitchen de-greaser spray with a used green scrub sponge, followed by a wrung-out flat kitchen sponge then a final going-over with a squeegee should suffice.

wighty

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 17:45 »
Don't ever use sugar soap to clean your windows , I did once and have regretted it ever since as it left a smear that I really can't get rid of.  We both smoke (naughty I know) and thought it would be a good thing to use.

xx
Condensation on the windows

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 10, 2022, 14:23
by AndyRVTR
xx
Printing using Windows 10.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2021, 15:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Windows XP feature.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 22:37
by grinling
xx
Taping glass windows

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2019, 16:14
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 56 queries.