building crop protection frames from water pipe

• 5 Replies

al78

building crop protection frames from water pipe
« on: March 08, 2021, 18:31 »
For the last few years I have used sections of one inch water pipe to construct hooped frames for crop protection netting. This has worked fairly well (sometimes the pests manage to find a way in). One problem I have is the water pipe is flexible, so whilst I can initially construct what looks like a solid structure, over time, the hooped sections of pipe flop over, and tieing canes across the top doesn't help. Once they flop over and down to near the ground, the netting is resting on the crops and it is possible for cabbage whites to lay eggs through the netting, leading to shredded brassicas later in the year. For those who use water pipe for such structures, how do you shore it up so the hooped pipe remains vertical and the whole structure maintains its shape through the year?

Growster...

Re: building crop protection frames from water pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 18:53 »
One way I tried and used most years, was to sink a metal/hardwood rod - even a cane - into the ground where I wanted the hoops to be, then just shoved the pipe over the foot or so which I left protruding above ground. It seemed to support the whole lot - maybe a bit bent, but better than just flopping down flat as they used to!

It's great stuff for this job, and well worth a bit more effort, as when you drag it off to pick the produce, it doesn't stick to any sharp bits!

Hope this helps!

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 19:49 »
I have a length of skirting board with holes drilled through it. the pipes go through this and the pipes don't fall in on themselves. the pipes are usually fairly flat on the top so don't slide one way or another.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 21:09 »
I make domes from mine and where the pipes cross I have drilled a small hole through and tie together through the hole with some string. If needed put multiple domes together to cover a longer bed and put the netting over the whole structure.

I bang short lengths of 32mm waste pipe partly into the ground and the ends of the blue water pipe fits straight into these.

This is a very stable structure and takes me only a few minutes to move the whole set up each season.

Not sure if I've explained that very clearly but I'll try and remember to take a photo when I'm next down and do some measurements.

al78

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:30 »
I make domes from mine and where the pipes cross I have drilled a small hole through and tie together through the hole with some string. If needed put multiple domes together to cover a longer bed and put the netting over the whole structure.

I bang short lengths of 32mm waste pipe partly into the ground and the ends of the blue water pipe fits straight into these.

This is a very stable structure and takes me only a few minutes to move the whole set up each season.

Not sure if I've explained that very clearly but I'll try and remember to take a photo when I'm next down and do some measurements.

Sounds clear to me thanks, effectively mimiking a geodesic dome, one of the strongest structures you can build. Some tents designed to withstand very high winds have poles that criss-cross like that.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 08:48 »
I’ve found a bamboo pole tie wrapped to the top of each hoop to be effective, & I do tend to put a pole into the ends of the hoops & sink that into the ground, although I’ve got some metal tent poles that I use for taller structures as well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Building 2 cold frames

Started by Dawn in the North on Design and Construction

23 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 11:56
by DD.
xx
How many water pipe hoops for netting?

Started by maddave on Design and Construction

29 Replies
Last post August 06, 2015, 08:07
by cadalot
xx
cages made from water pipe

Started by al78 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 14:11
by jezza
xx
Blue water pipe design change

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 11:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 45 queries.