10 litres Banana wine - less than £1 all-in

• 12 Replies

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
10 litres Banana wine - less than £1 all-in
« on: December 29, 2014, 20:42 »
I couldn't pass by 5 bags of banana's for 45p all-in.

The sugar, yeast, etc I had in any way - so a quid all-in for 10 litres. I expect it will get to around 18%, just how I like it so it can be diluted with a bit of lemonade to make it sparkly.

Not bad!

This is my fourth batch this year - and it's all been jolly delicious!

The worms get the banana skins - so that's their Christmas sorted out - and then my plants will benefit later next year! Hey, we all win!

(I also got a surprise delivery of 10 bales of hay for my raised beds to-be. What a great day it's been!)
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: 10 litres Banana wine - less than £1 all-in
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 22:14 »
Sounds interesting Kevin.  I've never tried banana wine, is it really nice?

My old neighbour years ago made banana brandy, but I suppose that's just like any other flavoured brandy, bit like sloe gin?  So cheating! LOL

Kevin67

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:00 »
I'll post you some!

Just mix it with about 1/3 lemonade to make it less potent. It is a sipping drink rather than quaffing. And you can really taste the banana's for the after-taste! It does make for a rather sweet wine, though.

pm me your address and I'll send you a bottle (plastic, to keep the weight down).

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 20:12 »
My demijohn of banana wine has just finished its initial fermentation - it will be the first wine that I've brewed that will be kept for 9 months or so before tasting. All reports I've seen suggest that its no good before 6 months - its not normally my thing , sweet and untouchable for that long... Anyhow, the rhubarb one that is in another demijohn doesnt need that long so if I don't do a dry January I'll be tucking in to that in early 2015.  :D

Pip pip,
Balders

Kevin67

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 20:25 »
Amazingly, I read that, too!

Try telling my 'samplers'! They think (some of) the fruit wines are great very young! Of course, there are some that do need quite a bit of time - and they are on the top of my fridge - strawberry wine included!

It is no fisherman's tale - 180 litres of fruit wine was drunk inside a month by some very grateful helpers! That wine was about two months out of secondary ferming. I wish I had some left over to see how it ages! Maybe next year!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 20:58 »
LOL Kevin, that's very kind of you, but I don't think posting even a plastic bottle of wine is a good idea.  Can you imagine if it exploded en route?   :lol: :lol: ;)

I may just have to try it one day though, but since losing shed loads of weight, I don't drink much anymore!  :(

Kevin67

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:08 »
lol!

I've not heard of any such mishap - God Forbid!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:24 »
I'm amazed that you can get it to 18%, Kevin! Do you use a turbo yeast?

I tried banana wine several years ago, and it was going well until younger daught grabbed hold of the container, and pulled the lot down all over herself...

Our production line is better these days, on the cheapo red I make with regularity!

But I like your description of a 'sipping wine', as our red starts at 1.040, so isn't too strong, and can be quaffed if necessary! Mrs Growster has forbidden me to change the recipe, on pain of earache..;0)

Kevin67

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28 »
The yeast packet says up to 20% can be achieved. I haven't looked too closely at the yeast packets I buy but I shall now. In fact, I do mean to make and keep records of my wine-making: I do it by eye and what I think will work - fortunately it usually does! I've only had two big failures so far (batches of 200 litres each).

Mrs K67 has long since learned of my 'male selective deafness' - an essential tool of any successful marriage. Plus that I find it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission....

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 15:09 »
Our wine records go back to 1972, and there are some gorgeous recalls with the children scribbling everywhere in the old blue book, and all the old recipes - and receipts still stuck in the back pages!...

I once totted up the main red we always make - 'Christleton' - oft mentioned here, and gave up after several hundred bottles!

There's even a mention of youngest's foray into banana-tipping, which made me smile widely on reading your post!

MSD is an absolute 'must' (ha ha ha - pun intended), so we're in for the 'Full Monty' at this rate!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 18:04 »
One of my new years resolutions is to better document / label both what/how I brew and what/how I grow.
Trouble is, that has been a resolution for the last few years and has yet to have (much) impact.

Pip pip,
Balders

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 23:04 »
Would you mind sharing the recipe Kevin?  I often find myself with a couple of very brown nanas, so I can bung them in the freezer until I have enough... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Kevin67

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 23:34 »
I used to follow recipes (as such) some years ago, now I do it by eye, so excuse the vagaries but it's close enough.

As a general guide: 1lb of fruit to 1litre of water (however, I notice that banana's have a thicker consistency so go for a liquid wine consistency rather than the thicker gloopy consistency that banana's give.

Chop the banana's and place in a big pan and cover with water and slowly bring to heat to around 70C for about 5 mins and mash the banana's well (I use a hand-blender). This kills off any unwanted yeasts and other living things. Throw the skins on the compost heap.

Put in as much sugar as alcohol you want while pan is hot. For my 10 litres I think I put in around 3kg. Make sure sugar is dissolved.

Place mash in a bucket with head room to spare for the yeast head to rise (quite a bit).

(Optional but strongly urged: Add some white grape juice. A wine with one 'flavour' is boring and bland. Extra, complementary flavours add depth and character. (Don't use mango, it's disgusting - trust me!) You might try some honey but be careful as it can overpower the banana flavour.

Add some yeast nutrient and yeast when the mash temp is between 25-30C. I don't bother with a yeast starter.

Put lid on bucket with air-trap on. Place bucket on gentle heat pad. Wrap in towels to retain heat constancy.

Knock back the yeast head once a day. Keep primary fermentation going for about 10 days or so, 'til bubbles stop.

Sieve mash into another clean vessel for secondary stage and leave to settle with air trap on.

My batches of banana wine are usually ready within about 4-5 months. Could take some standing time but no-one I know leaves it that long! I might have to do some secret batches...

There are those who use Campden tablets and pectolase, but the people I know cannot tolerate these and I don't seem to need them.

I hope the above helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 23:36 by Kevin67 »

xx
Banana wine.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

15 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 23:12
by BobE
xx
Banana Wine?

Started by Riala on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 09:26
by Sadgit
thumbup
How do you fancy trying some of my very young, fresh Banana Wine?

Started by Kevin67 on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 00:02
by pepsi100
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.