Where to Start

• 10 Replies

chuckmad

Where to Start
« on: August 23, 2010, 13:55 »
Hi Guys,
We moved into our house last March and everything is done inside and out.
I want to start growing my own veggies. Where do I start????????

compostqueen

Re: Where to Start
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 14:01 »
Identify your piece of ground. Think about what veg and fruit your family eats as this is the best place to start your plans.  A good book is a boon and I like Joy Larkcom's Veg growers handbook which is available from your library. It's packed with detail but is easy to read and understand

John who runs this site has a book on veg growing month by month, so that's another one for you to read. It may be available in the library too

There is lots of advice on here too if you care to read the threads in Growing  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 18:26 »
He also has a book called the Essential Allotment; both are equally good and handy sized for your pocket  :D

But you could start by clicking on Growing Help at the top of the page to find lots of useful articles on clearing / planning plots, rotation, monthly guides etc
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 19:38 »
Make a list of the types of vegetables you want to grow and identify when they need to be sown / planted out. As per the previous recommendations read up about them in books, magazines or on the internet. Crop rotation is an important aspect to understand in order to maintain the soil in a healthy condition and disease free. Once you get a good understanding you can design your plot accordingly. Its too late for growing much this season so I would concentrate on preparing your plot for next spring. I would advise not to try and do too much at once and when it comes time don't sow anything to early.

Post any questions on here and the experts will provide the answers I am sure.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 21:48 »
I too relatively new to veg growing, had the opportunity earlier to this year to listen to an experienced gardener give a talk, a valuable piece of advice he gave which has stayed with me is w tohen starting out its better "grow a little of a lot rather than a lot of a little". It has proved to be good advice.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 21:55 »
Great words of wisdom Debsie, couldn't agree more. Now putting it into practise is a different thing ???.

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 21:58 »
I think one of the big issues to consider is how you want to garden...
How much time and money you want to spend both setting up and once you are up and running;  Whether you want to grow enough veg and fruit to support yourselves or just enough to have a taste and supplement your buying;  Who will be able to look after your veg if you go away; Whether you are happy to use chemicals and other additives or whether you want to garden organically.
I also warn you that once you start it gets really quite addictive...!!!  

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:23 »
I want to start growing my own veggies. Where do I start????????

How big an area do you have available? That will govern how much you can grow.

What's there at present?  Prepared soil / flowerbed? Lawn/Grass? Brambles :blink:?

I recommend that you grow what you particularly like to eat - experiment later (if you start of growing something that is a disappointment, and you don't like it very much anyway, that won't help your enthusiasm much!)

Also worth considering "value per unit area". Value is both Taste and Money. Runner Beans grow upwards, don't take much space and are expensive in the shops.  Main crop spuds take up a huge area and are cheap as chips (sorry!) in the shops.

Some vegetables, like Sweet Corn, have a flavour when home grown that you just can't get from the shop (the sugar starts turning to starch very quickly, so the supermarkets can't compete even if they wanted to ...)

Have you got / do you want a greenhouse? Nothing to beat the gorgeous aroma of the ripening Melons when you open the greenhouse door first thing in the morning this time of year :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46 »
When I got my plot, I measured it then sat down with paper and pencil and drew up a plan of how I wanted it to look, what I was going to grow and so on. The plan has changed many times, of course, and continues to change but that is half the fun.  :)

Also, as has been said many times on this forum, accept that this is a marathon, not a race and it may take some years to get things set up the way you want them.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

peterjf

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:17 »
we found that the dr hessayan book a great help ,

pick them up at whsmiths , about £5-00

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27 »
Hi Chuckmad.

We're new to veggie growing too: we've just made some raised beds, and I'm itching to get started. We got a good selection of books on growing veg from The Works - all very cheap (including John's month-by-month book for 99p - shhh!), so if there's a branch near you, it might be worth having a rummage.

wink
Where to start.

Started by ohsocute on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 08:26
by ohsocute
xx
Where to start?

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 12:30
by AK9
xx
Start all over again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:42
by Kristen
xx
When to start?

Started by willdotcom on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 10:03
by willdotcom

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 39 queries.