Anyone for Cheese?

• 51 Replies

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: Anyone for Cheese?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08 »
...ours is a relationship in which we discuss everything and both have to be happy with our decisions.

That sounds like my wife - she tells me I'm happy with her decision!  :lol:

I'm betting I have a go at cheese-making some time this year; I can't wait!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 14:06 »
Kate, those cheeses look just amazing. You're definitely getting me thinking it's something I could do small scale.

Though I'd buy the milk - you can't keep goats on half a north-facing balcony!  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 14:22 »
Kate, those cheeses look just amazing. You're definitely getting me thinking it's something I could do small scale.

Though I'd buy the milk - you can't keep goats on half a north-facing balcony!  :D

You could try. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 19:12 »
I certainly do think that it is something that can be done small scale. I'm the proof!

If you do decide to have a go with goats milk really try to find someone you can buy fresh milk from, the stuff you buy in the supermarket is foul! And at £1.60/l pretty expensive. It takes about a gallon of milk to make a pound of cheese!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 20:16 »
We are having baked potatoes with ricotta for tea and there will still be loads of ricotta left so I am making the rest into ricotta salata so it doesn't go to waste. It's dead easy and means 3 cheeses from just the one batch of milk. :D

The ricotta is put into muslin lined moulds and then pressed with a gentle weight (I've popped 3lb on). I'll undress, flip and redress it tomorrow morning and repeat in the evening. It's then rubbed with salt and flipped daily for a few days and then aged in the (normal) fridge for a couple of days to up to 4 weeks. The recipe I have suggests rubbing it with salt on 7 days but I found that far too salty so did it for 2 which wasn't salty enough so am going to go for 4 this time  :tongue2:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 02:07 »
I wish I liked goats cheese but I can't bear it! :tongue2:
Great photos of the process though Kate :)

Debz

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 10:17 »
Great thread and the photos make it easy to understand the process.  Not sure it's something I will try in the near future but I'm still finding it very interesting to read about.  I love all the creative endeavours on this site.

xx
Mouldy cheese

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

8 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 20:31
by Growster...

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.