Pruning honeysuckle

• 5 Replies

Elaine G

Pruning honeysuckle
« on: February 17, 2012, 18:38 »
Hi
I have a trellis that is covered in a tangled mess of clematis and honeysuckle. The clematis is Hagley Hybrid which should be pruned back hard now, but I have no idea what type of honeysuckle. I don't recall much in the way of flowers on the honeysuckle for a while now.
My question is, if I prune the whole lot right back this weekend, this will suit the clematis, but will the honeysuckle survive? It will be impossible to seperate the two.

Thanks for your help

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

mattwragg94

Re: Pruning honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 19:00 »
id say that if you pruned the honeysuckle back to the first/second bud it should be fine!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 19:12 »
I know the Clematis wants pruning hard, but you will lose this years flowers if you prune honeysuckles hard at this time of year :(
Perhaps it's the only way you will be able to untangle the mess they make when they grow together. They're not ideal partners are they   :nowink:

Ideally honeysuckles should be pruned after flowering. It's only the evergreen Japanese honeysuckle, the one with creamy yellow flowers, that can be trimmed back a little in March or April.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 19:50 »
It's most likely, it will survive, one cannot get rid of them things. Call it re-juvenating pruning. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 20:11 »
Thanks for your replies.
I understand what you are saying about the flowers, mum, but at the moment it is running riot across a flower bed as well as amongst the clematis, so I think that is the route I will have to take.
Matt, pruning everything back to the second bud will make it simpler.
And gobs, I like the expression re-juvenating pruning  :)

Thanks

Elaine

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 23:01 »
I have the standard pink/red honeysuckle that appreciates a spring pruning and it flowers every year for me. I inherited another honeysuckle (no idea the name or type) and OH accidently burned it off with some weeds, but it came back hard and flowered that year for me.  Another one I bought sounds like your jungle and was actually climbing up a nearby tree when it reached across to some branches, can you believe? I chopped it to about a foot high and it too flowered the same summer.

So, they do need pruning, some at different lengths according to the pros, but I just whacked mine off and they all came back hard and full of flowers.

xx
Pruning Honeysuckle

Started by Truffle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 11:28
by Truffle
xx
Help identifying and pruning a Honeysuckle.

Started by Hamani on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 14:06
by JayG
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Bodger on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 09:29
by fletch
xx
honeysuckle

Started by dmg on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 22:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 37 queries.