Need help with a tree

• 5 Replies

Beetroot queen

Need help with a tree
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:35 »
I had a pear tree, the type that grows on one long banch (sorry cant remember what they are called)  :blush:

Any way in the second year hubby had an accident and dropped a huge post which fell and snapped the complete tree off about 6 inches above the ground.

I was in two minds about taking it out and replacing it but we didnt we left it, this year its come back to life and re-grown with branches that now fan out instead off one branch. ( dont think that will make much sense) but my question is, it was the same variety as the one further along the bed, but the leaves which are very healthy are very different. My other pear tree has shiny leaves, which are a very dark green, the damaged tree has paler leaves that are matt rather than shiny, it hasnt blossomed at all, and shows no buds, flowers or signs of fruit

penance

Re: Need help with a tree
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37 »
It is possible that it was snapped below the graft point meaning it is growing true to root stock type and not the grafted growth as before.

It may also be due to the damage sustained.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45 »
Yes,

it sounds very much like it's snapped off at the grafting point (it's a weak point and usually at about 6" off the ground) and you just have the rootstock growing which isn't going to be much use as I believe it's usually a quince type for pears.

Unless the growth is from above the graft point then you probably need to dig it up and start again.  :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11 »
Not sure what the graft point is but it does sound like it needs to come out, shame really as its never looked so healthy  ::) just mu luck, thanks for the help peeps  :D

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29 »
The graft point is where the root-stock of one variety joins the trunk of another variety.  The point of this is to use a good rooting plant to join with a good fruiting one.  Basically it is two plants "grafted" together.

If you have lost the top half, the bottom may still sprout, but it is unlikely to be as productive even after time. 

I agree with Nobbie.  Probaby best to dig it up and start again.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36 »
I never realised they did that, marvellous I suppose but wouldnt mother nature do a good enough job, left too it  ???

How said gardening was just dig a hole and pop it in  :lol:

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
help to id tree please

Started by witchwoopiggy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 07:56
by joyfull
xx
fig tree

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 01:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 38 queries.