Sowing outside

• 6 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Sowing outside
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:47 »
At the allotment it seems everyone sows indoors first, and no one sows directly into the soil.  What is the general conscensus here?  I really like the idea of being able to sow at least a few things direct!!!  I can then give OH something to do besides labouring to and fro all the time!

BabbyAnn

Re: Sowing outside
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04 »
Sowing direct depends on a few factors - if you have a lot to sow eg carrots, then sowing direct is better than trying to sow individual modules (such as in paper pots/toilet rolls) whereas something like squash and sweetcorn where you don't have that many plants are best started in pots.  Also they are more tender so sowing them at home gives them added protection and warmth.

The other thing to consider are pests - slugs, snails, pigeons, mice ... they all like tender seedlings or seeds at this time of year.  If you have controls in place (whatever you use to avoid slug damage, netting against other pests etc), or don't suffer from a mice problem, you could start sowing some early peas, carrots, spring onions, some brassicas like summer cabbage, radish etc direct.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:55 »
I simply cannot be going with a lot of faffing about.

I'm not going to start something indoors that involves transplanting a 32" row of narrowly spaced plants, that is quite capable of being sown direct.

Thus peas, carrots, parsnips, swede, beetroot and the like are just banged straight in.

One of our new plot neighbours appears to be insisting on starting everything inside in his half shed/greenhouse. I don't give much for the chances of his parsnips in a 1" deep seed tray!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:06 »
My plot isn't great for direct sowing either Amanda Louise, so you may find your plot neighbours have learned that sowing at home then transplanting is what works.

Having said that, it is well worth trying a few basics like the ones DD suggests, as it is a lot less faff  :)

I sow beetroots, spring onions, turnips and the like in modules, then plant out as little clumps.  They push each other out of the way and although you need to space the clumps wider than single sown plants, you get a great yield for the space used.  Its a fast way to plant out as well.  Think I would lose the will to live transplanting single plants for a 32' row as well DD  ;)  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:09 »
As you know, I operate on quite a large scale, it's not just one row, but will probably be about 8 for the peas and 3 for the carrots.

My back's aching just thinking about it!

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:44 »
I am growing carrots at home in a pot.  But would like the low maintenance of some direct sowing at the allotment.....  I havent the time or space to sow peas individually for example.  So gonna take the chance.   I have read about the pests, so will try and work around that, I can only try cant I.  Thanks a lot everyone.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15 »
I have so many critturs on my plot that I start many of the larger plants at home so I know what I've got. Carrots and beetroot get sowed direct though.

It, as the others have said, is what suits you. I find by starting somethings I ultimately get a better return. However you need the time, space and patience at home to be able to do this
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Sowing now

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
Sowing Now?

Started by rutters on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 22:55
by WG.
xx
sowing?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 15:49
by LivvyW
xx
sowing now

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 23:31
by mrsbean

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 39 queries.