winter alliums - rotate or not?

• 7 Replies

savbo

winter alliums - rotate or not?
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:04 »
At the end of our first season on the new plot I'm trying to develop a sensible rotation system that I can follow from now on. I've got 12 beds which I think I'm going to try a 4 year rotation on...

I'll be putting in my Japanese onions and garlic before too long, and am trying to decide whether to put them in the bed that I've grown onions and shallots in this year - and which then wouldn't have any onions in for 4 years - or put them in a fresh bed but which then would probably have onions in within 3 years...

what do people think?

M

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: winter alliums - rotate or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 16:36 »
If you have had onions in that bed this year and you put the winter ones in ....which won't ripen until ..June?..then surely that means you have had onions in that bed for 2 years running?

I would be trying to avoid that, and start all of next years onions in a new bed  :)

savbo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 16:49 »
ta MoS, good point... I should be thinking of them as early planting for next year rather than as a winter crop..

back to the drawing board

M

madcat

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 16:52 »
Thats how I'm looking at it.  Do you have the problem of more ideas than ground???   :wacko:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

savbo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 17:01 »
Yep - even with 12 beds on the new plot (plus all the permanent ones), I'm wondering how to fit everything in. And it's hard to work out a rotation when I seem to want twice as much Roots as Spuds...

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 17:05 »
Spuds can easily be grown in large grow bags that are now designed for spuds, or large containers. Be sure to plant varieties that will keep growing all along the stemline as not all will. The container soil can then be used for carrots, then amended for alliums or whatever.

meanwhile, the plot beds can have easier rotation and more space for the roots.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 17:39 »
I wouldn't repeat plant in the same spot and if possible I'd consider following a plan that allowing one area free from planting in rotation, does that make sense?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 18:52 »
I don't think it's necessary (or much fun!) to become too enslaved by rigid rotation schemes.

It is certainly a good idea to be mindful of persistent pests and diseases which can build up in the soil but these are really only a big issue for potatoes, brassicas, and possibly alliums.

Everything else can be compensated for; on my sandy soil I can pretty much guarantee that each spring the soil will be pretty much depleted of nearly all nutrients whatever I grew there the previous year!

(A bit controversial, hopefully Savbo will be pleased!)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Do I need to rotate Runner beans ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 12:51
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes in Bags - Rotate?

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 18:57
by mumofstig
xx
White rot on my alliums

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 17:42
by dougsta
xx
Yellowing alliums

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 14:46
by Snoop

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.