You turn your back for just a few days.....

• 4 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
You turn your back for just a few days.....
« on: September 07, 2010, 21:52 »
......and it all seems to go pear shaped.  ::)

I've had a wonderful first year in my garden plot with abundant tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes  :tongue2:, runner beans, french beans, beetroot, radish, sald leaves etc etc etc but having been busy recently helping my old boss out corn carting, i've neglected the two raised beds a bit and it all seems to have ground to a halt.

The runners have gone tough and stringy, the french beans the same. Radish has bolted as have my lovely salad leaves. The tomatoes outside have been splitting terribly due the recent rain and the cues commited hari kari days ago and so it leaves me a little sad now that there isn't much left now to harvest (except about 500 cayenne chilli peppers!!)  :(

It won't be until spring now on the new lotty that i get that tingle of anticipation that my seeds will bloom into wonderful organic fresh veg. It's hard cos most of the seasoned growers are still reaping mass harvests!! Best of luck to you all though!

Trillium

Re: You turn your back for just a few days.....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:42 »
But now you have all this time to plan next year's garden and note everything not to do and what needs improvement.  :D

Oddly enough my cukes got hit with a freak cold night 2 weeks ago and died off - I thought. Had a look today and they've recovered but now it's getting too cool for them to do much. The sweet potatoes, in the same bed, thought the cuke loss was great and have now taken over. Guess they forgot they don't like the cold. That said, I admit I had to harvest all my squash today as the leaves are mostly done for and wilt hit my tom leaves so they're next. It happens to all of us.

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:16 »
I know the feeling.
We run our own business and the summer months are our busiest time, which coincides with the busy time in the garden. The business is at home, but I still can't spend enough time in the garden.
So I didn't get round to netting my brassicas, went down after a few days away and it was like walking through a snow storm - white fly everywhere, then the leaves started disappearing as the cabbage white caterpillars gorged themselves.
Tomatoes were wilting, lettuces and some broccoli had started to bolt.

Still, we had loads of spuds, got some small onions out, managed to save the toms (must get a pic on here - unusual shaped Italian ones), had a couple of meals with corn on the cob starter, loads of runner beans which have enjoyed the recent rain, saved a few lettuces.

So, like all years, loads of losses but some successes. I discovered a few years ago that grow your own is just a continual learning curve. I just keep on trying.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:47 »
......and it all seems to go pear shaped.  ::)

I've had a wonderful first year in my garden plot with abundant tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes  :tongue2:, runner beans, french beans, beetroot, radish, sald leaves etc etc etc but having been busy recently helping my old boss out corn carting, i've neglected the two raised beds a bit and it all seems to have ground to a halt.

The runners have gone tough and stringy, the french beans the same. Radish has bolted as have my lovely salad leaves. The tomatoes outside have been splitting terribly due the recent rain and the cues commited hari kari days ago and so it leaves me a little sad now that there isn't much left now to harvest (except about 500 cayenne chilli peppers!!)  :(

It won't be until spring now on the new lotty that i get that tingle of anticipation that my seeds will bloom into wonderful organic fresh veg. It's hard cos most of the seasoned growers are still reaping mass harvests!! Best of luck to you all though!

You can leave the french beans on now until they mature and shell and dry them and use them in chilis during winter.

Not sure why you aren't putting overwintering onions, garlic, peas, broad beans, winter lettuces in over the next few weeks, and in Dec you can start sowing onions, then peppers in Jan etc.

A plot is for all year, not just for summer. The only month I don't sow stuff is Nov.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 15:22 »
......and it all seems to go pear shaped.  ::)

I've had a wonderful first year in my garden plot with abundant tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes  :tongue2:, runner beans, french beans, beetroot, radish, sald leaves etc etc etc but having been busy recently helping my old boss out corn carting, i've neglected the two raised beds a bit and it all seems to have ground to a halt.

The runners have gone tough and stringy, the french beans the same. Radish has bolted as have my lovely salad leaves. The tomatoes outside have been splitting terribly due the recent rain and the cues commited hari kari days ago and so it leaves me a little sad now that there isn't much left now to harvest (except about 500 cayenne chilli peppers!!)  :(

You can leave the french beans on now until they mature and shell and dry them and use them in chilis during winter.

Not sure why you aren't putting overwintering onions, garlic, peas, broad beans, winter lettuces in over the next few weeks, and in Dec you can start sowing onions, then peppers in Jan etc.

A plot is for all year, not just for summer. The only month I don't sow stuff is Nov.

Sorry i should explain. At the moment i only have two 8' x 4' raised beds and i don't want them taken up with onions, broad beans etc! I now have an allotment and i plan to sow most of what you'd suggested. I haven't the room to sow all those overwintering bits in my little kitchen beds....

xx
when will they turn?

Started by Polytunnel-er on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 10:32
by arugula
xx
how often do i turn???

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 23:09
by BigPaddy
xx
My Turn For A Lucky Day

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 07:00
by DD.
xx
down turn in the weather

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 12:15
by New shoot

Page created in 0.722 seconds with 35 queries.