when will they turn?

• 14 Replies

Polytunnel-er

when will they turn?
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:10 »
Possibly a numpty question but when can i expect my tomatoes to ripen? i am growing plum, gardeners delight, big red and beefsteak if that helps!

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
Re: when will they turn?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:14 »
When it gets warm again.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26 »
Hi PT - it is really frustrating when you are waiting for your toms to ripen - I keep looking at mine every day. They are getting bigger but no sign on ripening. But once they start then you will probably have a glut - happy days.

Polytunnel-er

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:28 »
thanks! they are being grown in the tunnel i was hoping i'd get them sooner!!  :lol:

patience isnt something i have in shovel loads!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:31 »
I have some in a small polytunnel, some in a greenhouse and a few on the lottie, and it pains me to say it....................but the marmande out in the open look as if they will ripen before the others! ! .........now that doesn't make any sense to me  :nowink:

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 15:36 »
I have some in a small polytunnel, some in a greenhouse and a few on the lottie, and it pains me to say it....................but the marmande out in the open look as if they will ripen before the others! ! .........now that doesn't make any sense to me  :nowink:

Same for me MoS!  Have had a few from those in the garden and at the lottie, but no ripe ones from inside the greenhouse!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 18:30 »
some of mine have ripened (Incas) and others are on their way slowly. Every day I look with eager anticipation into the greenhouse as the green colour shifts marginally.

Preserved some of them already (oven-dried in very low heat overnight and put into garlic oil ready for pressies for friends later in the year) and a few tomato salads have been munched happily.

But I look forward to the others ripening fully. Bring on the glut....which will be nice given last year's blight decimation!
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 20:49 »
I'm already getting loads of ripe Gartenperle, planted in hanging baskets. Maybe being in a basket helps them to warm up in the sun? None of my cordon or bush plants are ripe yet, apart from a single Red Alert. I'd certainly say the fruit are more exposed to the sun on these plants than they are on the cordon or bush ones. The trouble with cherry tomatoes is there's not really much you can do with them other than eat them fresh. They're not much good for cooking with or preserving because they're so small. Good job they're up high as every time I pick a few, the minute I turn my back my dogs are in there like lightning, they love them.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 21:03 »
cherry toms can be lovely for cooking if you have enough of them: simply drizzle with olive oil and garlic, with seasoning and plenty of basil - and roast for about 30-40mins on high temp. They split and ooze wonderfully flavoured juices. They are lovely served like this with fish, or chicken etc.. Even as a topping for bruscetta.

Or else done as above and add anchovies, olives and parmesan then used as a sauce for pasta.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 21:23 »
Have had lots of ripe outdoor basket tomatoes (not gartenperle - forgotten which variety)  since mid June but everything else is still green and growing

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13 »
cherry toms can be lovely for cooking if you have enough of them: simply drizzle with olive oil and garlic, with seasoning and plenty of basil - and roast for about 30-40mins on high temp. They split and ooze wonderfully flavoured juices. They are lovely served like this with fish, or chicken etc.. Even as a topping for bruscetta.

Or else done as above and add anchovies, olives and parmesan then used as a sauce for pasta.

Yum, that sounds nice. What ratio of anchovies/olives to tomatoes do you use? Trouble is, I always think I need to skin tomatoes to use them for cooking, and life is absolutely too short to skin cherry tomatoes. But I guess I just need to ignore Delia and cook them unskinned. Course, the other problem is if I use the tomatoes as veg, what the heck am I going to do with all the mangetout, french beans, green courgettes and summer ball that are starting to pile up :)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41 »
no need to skin them at all really. I use a small tin anchovies to about 1kg tomatoes, and a handful of olives -chopped roughly. but amend to preferred taste

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:11 »
My Sungold have started to turn a couple of days ago; the Dr. Carolyn and the Costoluto Fiorentino, which are bigger, are still green.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:15 »
I'm the same, I just can't wait and willing it to happen just doesn't work! :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32 »
Our Gartenperle (outdoors in hanging baskets) have already started turning red, with plenty fruit coming. We also have two plants in the polytunnel, to see what difference if any was to be noted. These have loads more fruits but are showing no sign of colouring yet. We also have Golden Nugget and Roma in the polytunnel. The GN are producing loads of fruit and, so far, the Roma less.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
how often do i turn???

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 23:09
by BigPaddy
xx
My Turn For A Lucky Day

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 07:00
by DD.
xx
down turn in the weather

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 12:15
by New shoot
xx
You turn your back for just a few days.....

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 15:22
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 41 queries.