Second plot!

• 23 Replies

crowndale

Second plot!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 19:05 »
we have what would be classed as half plots to most people but on our site are called full plots!  They were split from full plots (30x90') about 10 years ago when demand began to excede supply.  we have around 90 of these 'full' sized plots (15'x90') and 6 half (quarter) plots (15x45') for beginniners and those wishing to get started on something small before a bigger plot becomes available.  we have a long wait list but yet there are still at least half a dozen, probably more, plots that are hardly used at all. of the half plots only a few have been properly managed this year which at least gets rid of some on the wait list I guess!  I have started to dig over a friends plot today, around 2/3 of theirs is already partially cultivated but has been left to get weedy this year so I am digging it over in the hope of being able to use some of it next year!! (sneaky!).  we're not allowed back onto the list to wait for a second plot which is a bit tight given that some plot holders have three or four plots already and more than a few have two plots.  so hopefully I can do the labour for these friends (because strangely I actually enjoy digging!) and they can benefit from the produce, or the majority of it anyway!  I know one of their neighbours is eyeing up their plot for a friend as its been neglected this year, so rather than risk losing potential extra space for myself thought I'd get stuck in.  and then hopefully at some point in the future the friends will have the time again to do the work themselves and the wait list will allow for me to wait for a 2nd plot of my own.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:26 »
there are a couple of options open to me for milling it, the most likely being a tide mill near to where i live, they have just put out a call for voulenteer milliers so i might voulenteer (particular to mill my own grain lol), the other is a water mill that belongs to the national trust which is supposed to do it cheaply and if worse comes to worse i can always use a coffee grinder.

woodburner

Second plot!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 11:37 »
Sweet! Now that you've jogged my memory I have vague recollections of one of the local restored windmills offering a similar service. It was over 20 years ago so I can't remember which one but it could be fun to go round them all to find out :)
I might be growing some wheat after all ;)  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

alfman

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 11:53 »
Quote from: "allotmentvegigirl"
I find this topic very very interesting!  You hear in the press that growing your own has become very popular again and the demand for plots have increased ten fold.  Last night here in the South West a programme was aired regarding this very topic. A local radio DJ was saying there is a 200+ waiting list on his 157 plot site.  But yet when I drive past this site (one of the largest in the area) half the plots are overgrown.  What is the council doing??  I took on a half plot at the start of the year and have been very lucky having just taking over the other half.  It's amazing how fast you run out of space :shock: I sit here and think - what could I do with more land!!!!!  :wink:

Hello everybody, I'm the new boy on the block (new hah) and I'm interested in these suposed unused plots. I think the answer is, the people that rent or own the plots can't be bothered to use them but don't want to give them up to anyone else. that's why councils can't let them out to anyone else. Annoying :evil:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Second plot!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 11:58 »
Hi Alfman welcome to the forums  :D
Problem being with disused plots that are rented out is that it's under a contract, so allotment societies have to follow the proper procedure, written notice to clear or leave etc.

It's a necessary part of allotments that protects all those that keep allotments what if you was I'll for 2 months and came back to find someone had taken your plot over  :shock:

Very frustrating for those on waiting lists but necessary.

Perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself in the Welcome forums ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 12:08 »
woodburner if you do give the wheat ago you will have to let me know how you get on, so we can compare notes.

woodburner

Second plot!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 13:03 »
I won't be growing in any quantity next year unless I can find spring wheat, but I think I will try a patch with my feed wheat. Any idea what will happen if I sow now but it's spring wheat? I'm fairly sure that if you sow winter wheat in spring, it doesn't set seed. Please correct me if I'm wrong though ;)

Whilst most sites I know of are either fully occupied or appear to be nearly so, there is one very large site that is largely unoccupied, and, along with some other council land next to it, is earmarked for development. Being an arch-cynic I wonder if the council has (for years) been offering plots at other sites first. However there may be other genuine reasons, I can well imagine that security was impossible on such a large site. Also most houses in the area have reasonable sized gardens.
Anyway, I would put money on the 'soon to be much smaller' site being fully occupied within a year or two of the houses being built. :|

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 13:11 »
I managed to get the last Full plot on our site! The commitee have decided to only rent half plots in future...we have a huge waiting list.
I think because we are in a convenient place and next to the local park...
so pleasant all round.

new_2_veg

Second plot!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 14:27 »
both my plots are 25ft x 100ft

compared to some ive seen they are huge

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
new Plot

Started by newkingsthorpe on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 23:40
by Mash Mad
xx
Here it is - the new plot!!!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 16:08
by kezlou

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 34 queries.