Slugs and snails

• 7 Replies

Bec1

Slugs and snails
« on: May 27, 2022, 22:55 »
I was just wondering how I can get rid of slugs and snails, I uses egg shells and  beer trap is there anything else I can do
On the Internet it said u can use coffee but I don't know

Hampshire Hog

Re: Slugs and snails
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 09:21 »
I have seen metal rings (copper?) in garden centres designed to protect plants but I think that looks like an expensive investment. I still use the dreaded blue pellets which are now iron based? but I don’t think they are as effective as the old ones but better than nothing.
Keep digging

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:50 »
After my breakfast grapefruit I put the peel 'dome' onto a raised bed. Slugs love to hide underneath them during the day and can easily be disposed of my the OH. It also looks kind of nice/kooky having raised beds dotted with yellow domes  :D

lettice

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 11:10 »
Think from this question being asked many times on here over the years, its using a few deterrents that sems to always work best.
The most effective for me are;

Copper tape rings around the tops of pots.

The traditional blue pellets that contained the M word worked well many years back. Of course not for sale now.
But I for a good many years now like the Doff 'organic' type ones that have Ferric Phosphate have for me been effective. Only use them inside the edge of the greenhouse and frames etc, as they are completely out of reach form my and neighbouring cats and/or any wildlife.

Have used nematodes (my own home made ones) for many years on my potato beds, raised beds and bags. Not had a single slug since in that area.

Around the garden/plot, a torch late at night and early morning, especially after a rain shower, picking them off the ground/paths/plants.

I have traps scattered around the garden/plot, that I top up each fortnight. They welcome in plenty of drowned slugs and snails.
I used supermarket own brand yogurt pots and their lids. They have a small 1/2 inch slit on each side at soil level near the top of the pot.
As I make my own bread, I make up a teaspoon yeast solution in a few pints of water and mix well as the solution.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 08:30 »
that's a good reply Lettice something there's always something new to try and if its affective that's the job well done this site always has a wealth knowledge from good gardeners

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 11:38 »
I use copper tape around my pots of hosters and have no problem with slugs and snails.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 08:21 »
I was just wondering how I can get rid of slugs and snails,
In all honesty you'll never be rid of them, its a war of attrition. Use all the methods you hear of & you'll reduce the problem down to manageable levels.
I use the new ferric phosphate pellets (very good in greenhouse or polytunnel but rain soon dissolves them). I leave a sheet of plastic down overnight & turn it over & hand pick the dozens of slugs that are under it in the morning. I have wild flower/pond/toad & frog areas next to the plot & plant native trees that attract birds (thrushes are what you really want - they get through huge quantities of snails!). Not an option here but if you're somewhere warm enough for them, I hear good things of nematodes. If you're using traps you can also plant a "sacrifice crop" round them to attract the slugs to that area (& away from others). Lettuce works well for that. In a dry year, when you're winning the battle, kill the slugs you find when hand picking by snipping them in half with old scissors & then leave them where they are - strong stomach required but ensures the predators that live on them survive for the next wet period.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 11:40 »
At home there's a lot to be said for a late damp night stroll with a torch and an old pair of kitchen scissors . :ohmy:

As said before use every method you can regularly to keep their numbers low !

xx
Slugs and snails

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 20:38
by hotterotter
xx
Slugs and snails.

Started by Eugene on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 19:05
by Terrier
xx
snails and slugs

Started by chelseablue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 23:18
by richyrich7
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2024, 22:05
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 46 queries.