parsnips

• 43 Replies

snowdrops

Re: parsnips
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2021, 17:14 »
I grew some year-old seed in buckets this year - we don't use many, and they're about half a pound each, which is OK for us!

I'll wait until we get a real frost before checking again!

Actually, I don't mind if they fork of even get worse, as once cut down and washed, the thin pieces cook up beautifully!

Hi Growster
I just lifted one of my parsnips, which I had to dig out it was so long came in at 2lbs 12ozs and was 18 inches long and 14 inches round the top  :lol: We love them and I have a bed with about 30 of them in it so I will have to get recipe hunting... we generally have them mashed , roasted or souped but I believe they make great rissoles ?

Snap same as the photo I posted on page 1 lol
Do you garden a la Charles Dowding ? I can't post a picture but the parsnip was a thing of beauty not a deviation from true and very tender... did two meals with really healthy helpings  :lol:

Yes I do, went totally no dig 4 years ago, wish I’d done it 40 years ago. :)

Don't really have anything to add, but just liked to see one of the longest 'quote' series ever...

Go on, I dare you Snows...

Well Mr G, never to miss a challenge, I was once successful in saving parsnip seeds from a packet I bought I think from Moles seeds at the Edible garden show. They turned out to have no end but n the packet could have covered the whole plot with them lol. Once opened I stored them in the salad drawer of the fridge until the next year & they were fine ....how’s that Mr G ?  :tongue2:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 20:54 »
I grew some year-old seed in buckets this year - we don't use many, and they're about half a pound each, which is OK for us!

I'll wait until we get a real frost before checking again!

Actually, I don't mind if they fork of even get worse, as once cut down and washed, the thin pieces cook up beautifully!

Hi Growster
I just lifted one of my parsnips, which I had to dig out it was so long came in at 2lbs 12ozs and was 18 inches long and 14 inches round the top  :lol: We love them and I have a bed with about 30 of them in it so I will have to get recipe hunting... we generally have them mashed , roasted or souped but I believe they make great rissoles ?

Snap same as the photo I posted on page 1 lol
Do you garden a la Charles Dowding ? I can't post a picture but the parsnip was a thing of beauty not a deviation from true and very tender... did two meals with really healthy helpings  :lol:

Yes I do, went totally no dig 4 years ago, wish I’d done it 40 years ago. :)

Don't really have anything to add, but just liked to see one of the longest 'quote' series ever...

Go on, I dare you Snows...

Well Mr G, never to miss a challenge, I was once successful in saving parsnip seeds from a packet I bought I think from Moles seeds at the Edible garden show. They turned out to have no end but n the packet could have covered the whole plot with them lol. Once opened I stored them in the salad drawer of the fridge until the next year & they were fine ....how’s that Mr G ?  :tongue2:

Not bad for a Young'un..;0)

Parsnips are just God's gift, as long as you obey his rules!

Re: the Edible Garden, wasn't there a Girl Guides song about going into the garden to eat worms? I'm sure Elder Daught used to sing it - regularly..!

Tiresomely some might say!

snowdrops

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2021, 21:27 »
Lol
Nobody likes me, everybody hates me.......I’m going to go and eat worms..big fat juicy ones...

or somat like that  :lol: I wasn’t a girl guide though  :nowink:

rowlandwells

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 17:00 »
after so many replies to my original topic I'm undecided if i should go with Gladiator pelleted seed I know most of you have said get fresh seed although I do have a full not been opened  packet of imperial crown left from last year?

the one thing that I'm concerned about is parsnip canker  it says  in my seed catalogue that Gladiator is canker resistant?  to buy or not to buy that is the question  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 17:33 »
Unopened packets are ok if they’re foil wrapped & sealed.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2021, 16:25 »
Grew parsnips and carrots in a 30cm wide by 15cm deep trench which I filled with a mixture of sand and multi purpose compost, because my plot is quite heavy soil. Carrots were great, but I only had a few parsnips germinated which were a good size and not distorted at all, germination of parsnips was a problem for me, will try using more seeds in same place as someone suggested next season.

rowlandwells

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2021, 11:42 »
well well after all that info I should be growing a good crop of parsnips next season  :) its interesting to note that most of you favour the method of making a hole [dibber]  and filling it with compost presumably this makes the tap root follow down the hole without any obstructions and stops it forking something that usually happens on our allotment

I like the idea of using spent compost as we have quite a few bags to re-use that would make sense to use when sowing  our parsnips

thank all for that info

snowdrops

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2021, 09:33 »
Here’s the 1 harvested for Christmas Day, quite a bit of canker sadly this year but then it has been very wet. Perhaps when I’ve got freezer room I might get them all up , there’s not a huge amount this year as last year I had far too many & with getting the poly tunnel I was having to rethink my outside growing space ( still am lol)
E6CB2971-164E-4B25-8756-91DB9F2B6E35.jpeg
D4CE1B10-0167-45CE-9DDC-9F31A150B11C.jpeg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2022, 11:23 »
My soil is quite sandy but also stony, so I use a combination of most of the techniques already mentioned - individual planting holes filled with last years' spent MP compost from the GH (boosted with some chicken poo.)

Two I harvested yesterday - the technique clearly isn't foolproof, although even the manky, canker-ridden specimen on the right provided enough for a meal after some judicious knife-work:
IMG_20220110_163501.jpg
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 16:46 »
parsnip canker seems to be a real problem as the parsnips get to maturity so what causes is it wet ground? or something in the ground? do parsnips do better in light soil rather than heavy?

a couple of things I seen someone who  grew parsnips in a wooden  trough and they turned out perfect no canker a good size and anther commercial parsnip grower who grew thousands of parsnips for the supermarkets working34/7 to supply and there where tons of misshaped just tipped in the yard that the supermarkets didn't want that went for other uses but sadly due to the supermarket they supplied messing them about with ordering and supply they had to call it a day as said it was sad because this grower had been growing parsnips for many years

may be that's a lesson not to put all your eggs in one basket [supermarkets] the farm I worked on grew potatoes on contract to a crisp company and unless there was something wrong with the potatoes they had to accept daily deliveries or pay for the potatoes to be disposed of and we supplied the factory for a number of years until the factory closed

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 18:57 »
I've always thought a major cause was the carrot root fly, which causes the initial damage from which the canker takes hold
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 20:02 »
Agree 100% with Yorkie - parsley, carrots, and parsnips all belong to the same 'family' - carrots are usually completely ruined by carrot fly attack, parsnips get canker damage but are mostly useable, parsley sometimes gets stunted and conks out sooner than I would like.
I net my carrots to make sure I get a crop - the other two I just cross my fingers and accept that gardening life ain't perfect!  :wacko:

rowlandwells

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 15:30 »
as your saying  parsnip canker is caused by the carrot carrot fly something I've learnt I suspect commercial growers spray for that not to happen?

but I also assume that spray is not available for the home gardener so the other alternatives could be growing parsnips in tubs or boxes and if growing in raised beds then perhaps an investment in enviromesh could be the answer?

Longshanks

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 08:33 »
Beats me how these things reproduce at all.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips at last

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 10:21
by Anton
xx
Parsnips??

Started by midders on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 16:54
by Salkeela
xx
Parsnips

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:54
by Novice but totally hooked

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 53 queries.