parsnips

• 43 Replies

Nobbie

Re: parsnips
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 15:42 »
I find seed upto a couple of years old fine, I think most of the germination problems people have are down to sowing too early. There’s just no need to. I prepare a seed bed nice and early and wait until the weeds start germinating in numbers. Hoe them off and then sow the parsnips 4 seeds to a station 4” apart as they seem to like company and it helps identify them against any remaining weeds that germinate. Thin to one at each station and finally to 8” apart Think I sowed towards end of April this year and the first one I harvested a week ago was huge. Made a very nice addition to the mash on a cottage pie.

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 17:29 »
it seems by your replies  that direct sowings is the order of the day its interesting to note sowing fresh parsnip seed is highly recommended to get good results and that some of you favour making a hole and filling it with compost prior to sowings this would indeed give parsnips a good growing system one I think is good sound advise

however in my topic i was considering using Bi-Degradable sheeting and as said this was to eradicate weeds but I also take on board the possibility of slug damage as the parsnips emerge so i need to give that some thought how I mite overcome that problem

nevertheless it indicate from your replies you've been growing  good parsnips  better than me  :( but with all that advise I can't go wrong can I :unsure:

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 12:13 »
Should they be fed, maxicrop is what I've got, or just left?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 12:46 »
I don't feed them and think I have good results.

I always put some bonemeal around them once they have germinated. Not sure where I got this from or if it is needed but I get a bumper crop.

Parsnips grow best where nitrogen based nutrients are on the low side. I am not sure what the nitrogen content of maxicrop is but it may not be a good idea. Parsnips dont need feeding but I put bonemeal along the rows for root growth. I will be interested to see what other people on the forum do.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 13:02 »
I have just checked and the NPK for Maxicrop is NPK 5-2-5. While looking I found this handy link

https://thenutrientcompany.com/blogs/horticulture/npk-value-of-everything-organic-database

The NPK value of everything organic!

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 17:18 »
Hi folks I couldn't believe my eyes from what I said because we actually got several parsnips of our raised bed on Saturday some had forked but we managed to put some parsnips in the freezer I can't remember when we last had parsnips of our allotment that where any  good  :D

and  I have to say there's been much said about growing parsnips that has been a great help
many thank for all your replies  :) RW

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 10:28 »
I have just checked and the NPK for Maxicrop is NPK 5-2-5. While looking I found this handy link

https://thenutrientcompany.com/blogs/horticulture/npk-value-of-everything-organic-database

The NPK value of everything organic!

… dried jellyfish .. ??

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 12:12 »
I grew some year-old seed in buckets this year - we don't use many, and they're about half a pound each, which is OK for us!

I'll wait until we get a real frost before checking again!

Actually, I don't mind if they fork of even get worse, as once cut down and washed, the thin pieces cook up beautifully!

jambop

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 11:18 »
I grew some year-old seed in buckets this year - we don't use many, and they're about half a pound each, which is OK for us!

Actually, I don't mind if they fork of even get worse, as once cut down and washed, the thin pieces cook up beautifully!

Hi Growster
I just lifted one of my parsnips, which I had to dig out it was so long came in at 2lbs 12ozs and was 18 inches long and 14 inches round the top  :lol: We love them and I have a bed with about 30 of them in it so I will have to get recipe hunting... we generally have them mashed , roasted or souped but I believe they make great rissoles ?

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 07:18 »
That's some veg, JB!

Never thought of rissoles, so will investigate!

Incidentally, are parsnips used much over there? I don't remember seeing any in Le Clerc!

jambop

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 09:20 »
That's some veg, JB!

Never thought of rissoles, so will investigate!

Incidentally, are parsnips used much over there? I don't remember seeing any in Le Clerc!
They are becoming more popular on the veg counters but I don't know if its for the Brits or the French  :lol: I do not know many French people who eat them ... don't know what they are missing! The one I dug out yesterday has given us two very generous helpings but I am going to investigate rissoles  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 17:12 »

Hi Growster
I just lifted one of my parsnips, which I had to dig out it was so long came in at 2lbs 12ozs and was 18 inches long and 14 inches round the top  :lol: We love them and I have a bed with about 30 of them in it so I will have to get recipe hunting... we generally have them mashed , roasted or souped but I believe they make great rissoles ?

Snap same as the photo I posted on page 1 lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 17:50 »

Hi Growster

Do you garden a la Charles Dowding ? I can't post a picture but the parsnip was a thing of beauty not a deviation from true and very tender... did two meals with really healthy helpings  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 22:13 »

Hi Growster

Do you garden a la Charles Dowding ? I can't post a picture but the parsnip was a thing of beauty not a deviation from true and very tender... did two meals with really healthy helpings  :lol:

Yes I do, went totally no dig 4 years ago, wish I’d done it 40 years ago. :)

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2021, 07:07 »

Hi Growster

Yes I do, went totally no dig 4 years ago, wish I’d done it 40 years ago. :)

Don't really have anything to add, but just liked to see one of the longest 'quote' series ever...

Go on, I dare you Snows...

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:54
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
Parsnips at last

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 10:21
by Anton
xx
Parsnips??

Started by midders on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 16:54
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 51 queries.