down turn in the weather

• 2 Replies

jambop

down turn in the weather
« on: March 26, 2020, 17:22 »

Hi we are getting a bit of a downturn in our normal weather pattern and temps are likely to be in the range 2C to 14C for the next two weeks is there any real advantage in sowing anything at all? I have some carrots that are just through and was going to sow some parsnips and beetroot. I have quite a lot of other stuff ready to go in onions, broccoli,Kohlrabi and cauliflower but I might just hang off for the time being. I also have my Charlotte spuds ready to go but what is the point nothing much will want to grow at these temps?

Hampshire Hog

Re: down turn in the weather
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 21:02 »
Afraid my sowing is being impacted by the current virus issue and potential greater lock down. I have already put out my shallots and onions. Today I sowed peas and radish hoping that I will be able to go to the plot to harvest them. If I wait for the weather to warm up to optimal temperature I may not be able to sow them for months. Safe to say this is a very strange time!
Cheers HH
Keep digging

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: down turn in the weather
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 12:15 »
I am much the same HH. 

If you garden at home, it may be possible to have a normal start to the season, but if you are growing away from home on a plot, things may be different.  At present, they are saying it is fine to go, so long as you follow social distancing, but I'm not expecting that to be the case if the number of infections suddenly starts surging.  We may well be subject to an on/off regime on plot visits, as they manage this curve of cases they keep talking about.

xx
when will they turn?

Started by Polytunnel-er on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 10:32
by arugula
xx
how often do i turn???

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 23:09
by BigPaddy
xx
My Turn For A Lucky Day

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 07:00
by DD.
xx
You turn your back for just a few days.....

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 15:22
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 42 queries.