germination/vermiculite problems

• 5 Replies

sion01

germination/vermiculite problems
« on: March 08, 2011, 22:32 »
I have sown three trays one with thyme,one with cosmo and one with verbena.I covered the seed with fine vermiculite and covered with a plastic dome with the vents closed to keep in the moisture.The thyme has started to germinate but the three have been affected by mold.I have opend the vents and the mold has more or less gone.I have never had all my trays go mouldy before ,could it be the vermiculite which iv'e had for a few years( there was a bargain on a sack full) or just bad luck.
The cosmo and verbena haven't germinated at all .Have they had it or should i give them another week or two?

Trillium

Re: germination/vermiculite problems
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 22:52 »
This year I used perlite to top my seeds with and they've been great, with no sign of mold at all. Vermiculite would be very similar.

The usual cause of problems with mold is overhead watering and watering too often. The potting mix (I assume its mix and not true soil) needs one good soaking from below to get things rolling, then it's usually okay for a few weeks. Keeping the dome on isn't such a great idea with vermiculite/perlite as they already help keep in moisture and I found them great for preventing damp off (the mold problem) from starting. But I left mine only lightly covered, mostly to keep the cat from using the 'new' litter box or snacking on seedlings.

Thyme is a dry/arid plant and needs very little water and no dome at all. cosmos can be slow, same with verbena. Be patient and give them more air. Touch a finger to the potting mix and if it's still dampish, don't water for a while yet.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 22:58 »
A tip my father gave me years ago to check to see if seed trays needed watering:

If you lift one end of the seed tray and it feels heavy there's no need to water. If, on the other hand, the tray feels light...stand the tray in a shallow depth of tepid water to allow moisture to soak upwards.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sion01

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 20:47 »
I won't put them on the compost heap just yet then,take off the domes and hope for the best 8)

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 17:45 »
Appreciate that these are veg but I've had a similar problem with my chilli / pepper seedlings. Transplanted them to individual 3inch pots, watered with still legal cheshunt compound to prevent damping off, topped with perlite to stop those annoying small black fly things and now have white mold growing. Should say only lost 2 out of 20 seedlings and the rest are now going strong but , the compost and perlite are fresh and meant to be steralised, all pots are new and everything had an antifungal watering am a bit concerned myself.  :(
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

sion01

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 21:04 »
I know the feeling Gallen it seems sometimes that it doesn't matter how careful you are nature likes to let you know whose boss now and again.I think the most important thing is to concentrate on the positives and put the negatives down to experiance(and learn from them if at all possible

xx
Vermiculite

Started by thecakebaker on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 08:40
by vet
xx
vermiculite advice needed please

Started by Kathie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 12:55
by Kathie
xx
sweet pea germination

Started by snow white on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 14:23
by JayG
xx
Sweetpea Germination

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 10:29
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.