vine weevil

• 3 Replies

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
vine weevil
« on: June 30, 2008, 17:51 »
has anyone got any good advice on getting rid of vine weevil?  arow of laurals is being ravished by the little *- going outside after dark with a big white sheet and shaking the laurels and picking them off seems the only way of reducing the numbers. buy its the little  ones in the earth that you can't seem to move-

bbq_phil

vine weevil
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 18:21 »
Hey there, My mum goes out at night with a torch hunting for bugs and snails etc and has done for as long as I can remember. I don't know of any other way.

It would be good to hear of how others do it.
Toodle Pip!

ratman

vine weevil
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:19 »
That is unfortunately one of the most effective ways. It seems like an on-going battle at times. We suffer with them badly on the fuschia's and night time with a torch accounts for many. I have started to experiment with sticky pads around the tubs which seem to be helping. The ones I am experimenting with are the ones sold as rodent glue boards. I am cutting them into 2 inch wide lengths and attaching them around the middle of the pot. It does seem to catch several and on the four pots I have tried it on I have not caught a vine weevil on the plants since I started. Obviously it would be no good in thick vegetation but if you have stand alone tubs it might be some help. Obviously keep a regular eye on the pads as they are very sticky and will catch most things. By keeping them half way down the pot it does not catch the bees or butterflies either.

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
vine weevil
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53 »
I had a huge problem in my garden a couple of years back.  I bought some nematodes from an organic gardening company. I did it in spring and autumn and it worked a treat.  It isn't cheap mind, but apart from the odd couple I find now and then they haven't ravished my plants at all.

The nematodes are microscopic bugs that feed on the larvae of the vineweevil.

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/weevil.htm

xx
vine weevil again

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 13:57
by Auntiemogs
xx
vine weevil

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2021, 09:24
by rowlandwells
xx
Vine Weevil

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 19:39
by Yorkie
xx
Vine Weevil

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 20:13
by mrsbaggins

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 40 queries.