orchid

• 5 Replies

chrissie B

orchid
« on: May 16, 2014, 18:50 »
not sure if I am in the correct section , so ive been given a rather long in the tooth orchid its not had a happy lifeI guess , its in a clear pot which it has to stay in so the roots can see the light and stood on a tray with gravel haven't got that yet , only got it today . so realy any tips  or handy hints please , as orchids go its not an exiting one its off white with a gingery brown centre also I watched a video and it said about bringing on more flowers but couldn't understand what she said .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: orchid
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 19:00 »

I assume this is a Phalanopsis? (Moth Orchid) from the description of the clear pot? 

Does it have thick dark green leaves growing from a single point, and long whitish grey thick roots that come out of the pot?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 19:32 »
it has a load of roots which are in the pot the ones on the top look a bit raggy it has 2 flower stems and its had flowers but I think your supposed to do some thing when the flower has gone it has fleshy leaves with rounded ends they look healthy , so any help would be greatfull don't likr to loose one .
chrissie b

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 19:59 »
If its a phalenopsis then you can cut the flower stalk off at just above a bud/joint/node (don't know what its proper name is) on the stem and in theory it will grow a new flower stalk at that joint.  I fed mine with baby bio orchid feed that I picked up at the supermarket and it seems to like it, it has flowered three times and grown 2 new leaves.
Anne

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 13:39 »
Best is to put the pot in a bowl of stones or pebbles or laying on stones as they hate water logged or sitting in water.
Kind Regards
Bill

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 20:59 »
ive done that I boiled the gravel and the tray , and I took the outer pot off just leaving the clear plastic on , there are some shredded roots on the top should I clip them off , I have to say its in the conservatory and looks a bit perky today , what about re potting ?thanks fot the advice
chrissie b

xx
Orchid

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 19:12
by black diamond
clip
Look at my orchid!

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 19:50
by Subversive_plot
xx
Orchid

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2022, 02:50
by Subversive_plot
xx
HELP with orchid

Started by muntjac on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 19:09
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.