Quick way to retain more moisture in soil?

• 19 Replies

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
Re: Quick way to retain more moisture in soil?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 22:04 »
Hmm, think I'll have to have a deeper dig over the next few days to get to the bottom of things  :)

I did try a small test pit the other day, but it was so solid a foot down I filled it in again in fear at the thought of double digging 500 sq metres!

Thanks for all the replies and the tip from Salmo to test the sub soil - definitely not something I'd considered. Think I'll have to do some proper in depth soil analysis!

Trikidiki

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 23:27 »
I don't think there is a quick way. Too much manure will restrict what you can grow. Most other things will deplete nitrogen from your soil until it decomposes.

I inherited my plot this year after sharing for one year with the previous tenants who had run it for imeasurable years.

It is very sandy despite their years of dedication. My plot in particular (only 12 plots on the private site) is on a deep sandy belt. I pushed a meal rod into the ground the other day in various places and only once was I not able to push it in 3 feet without any resistance. Hence the 3 foot long (at least) parsnip roots. Neighbours seem to have bedrock about 18 inches down (may be what you have).

I am on a compost drive to get some moisture retention, despite having numerous water butts and a 1000 litre IBC.

I have 3  1m3 compost bins and planning more for manure.

I also have a leaf bin which I have just filled with at least 3 m3 of shredded leaves.

I use loads of newspaper for the bean trenches.

Don't get too disheartened. Grow what you can, accept the results may not be terrific in the first few years. Things will improve as the years go by and you add more and more organic matter.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 05:50 »
Mulch I use secondhand straw from the stables to cover my spuds (planted ,ridges pulled up then covered) this starts to break down and can be turned in as you dig the spuds it also keeps the weeds down, then follow on and use ground to plant overwintering onions
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:52 by PAULW »

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 08:44 »
Given lack of FYM, as suggested already paper, shredded...other than that old hessian sack or any natural fibre, cotten ect that will eventually rot down...
Collect any FYM in the meantime and store...
Although my plot was manured way back in October, I'm already collecting next years...
But any materials that are natural and will rot, dig a trench bung them in and let the worms do the rest...

Spana

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 08:49 »
When you have a row marked or established, after a good rain lay your saved newspapers on the soil between rows and cover the papers with a thick layer of grass clippings.  Get you friends and neighbors to give you theirs.  That will help to conserve the moisture you have in the soil for this year until you can dig in something else in the autumn.
The whole lot can be dug in at the end of the season but you need to get the grass clippings on as soon as they are cut as they get too hot if left in a pile. :)

xx
Ph tester moisture meter

Started by CARROTTCRUNCHER on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 08:26
by lucywil
xx
maintaining moisture in paper pots

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 17:23
by Paul Plots
xx
Is it worth buying a moisture meter for tomatoes ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2024, 21:13
by Learnerlady
xx
best place for cheap moisture retaining mats?

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 22:08
by jennyb

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 28 queries.