Apple cider vineger - supermarkets own!

• 5 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Apple cider vineger - supermarkets own!
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:45 »
Hi all, i am just at the end of my cider vinegar which we brought from the farm where we got our hens from. I am sure that i have read somewhere on this site that the apple cider is not good for your hens from supermarkets!!!!
Yesterday i went to my local pet shop (my 9year old sons lizard has died - only 2years old :( :( :() anyway the pet shop man said that 'quote' 'i have worked in this buisness for 30 years and never heard such rubbish, supermarkets apple cider is fine'.... Im not sure if he knew anything about hens. I was going to get it from the farm where i originally got the last lot, but post and packageing is £6.99 :ohmy:
Can anyone give some suggestions? ???

Thanks everyone, have had a really really bad week,  :( so all being well nothing else can happen!!!  :)

HENrietta
Live, Love and Laugh!

Vember

Re: Apple cider vineger - supermarkets own!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:35 »
Hi Hen

I was told not to get the supermarkets own, something to do with the fact it hasn't got the tannins in it which are important and are in the stuff bought from farm supply shops :) The word unrefined also springs to mind ???

Basically I would go with the one you get at the farm supply shop rather than supermarket bought :)

Hope that helps ( not fully awake yet :lol:)

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:38 »
As Vember says you need the unrefined "live" stuff with the bits in from the horsey shop.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:14 »
i looked for apple cider vineger in suppermarkets and the ingrediant are what put me off, metabisulfite, and if i don't know what it is it doesn't go into the chickens. i did however choose an organic one with 100 percent apple cider vinegar, but by the sounds of it even that isn't good enough. :( will get some form horse shop now.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:19 »
Hi all, i am just at the end of my cider vinegar which we brought from the farm where we got our hens from. I am sure that i have read somewhere on this site that the apple cider is not good for your hens from supermarkets!!!!
Yesterday i went to my local pet shop (my 9year old sons lizard has died - only 2years old :( :( :() anyway the pet shop man said that 'quote' 'i have worked in this buisness for 30 years and never heard such rubbish, supermarkets apple cider is fine'.... Im not sure if he knew anything about hens. I was going to get it from the farm where i originally got the last lot, but post and packageing is £6.99 :ohmy:
Can anyone give some suggestions? ???

Thanks everyone, have had a really really bad week,  :( so all being well nothing else can happen!!!  :)

I've been using both supermarket and health shop apple cider for my hens and my dogs (and myself) for years and I've never had a problem.
The bottle I'm on at the moment is Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar and it was bought at a supermarket.
Unlike white vinegar, apple cider vinegar is a light yellow-brown color and is often sold unfiltered and unpasteurized with a dark, cloudy sediment called mother of vinegar (consisting mainly of acetic acid bacteria) settled at the bottom of the bottle.

Unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is sold in health food stores, online and in some grocery stores.
This website tells you all about cider vinegar and it's properties.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Valerie  :D  :D  :D  :D

HENrietta
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Wyandottie

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 16:47 »
Hi
I started giving my chooks ACV using the bottle I already had from the supermarket.  However I have purchased 2.5 litres which worked out at considerably less cost from my Pet and Animal Food supplier in Ross on Wye.  The ACV was sold along with all the other stuff for chickens, but I was surprised to see that it stated clearly on the front that it was 'Human Consumption Grade'.  So next time I am doing any pickling ...

question
Cider vinegar Vs Apple cider vineger?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 18:44
by Goldfinger
xx
How much Cider Apple Vineger.

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:48
by BestBreast
xx
apple cider vineger

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 20:34
by andy46
question
cider vineger

Started by kimjen on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 22:20
by alisonwo

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.