Rootrainers

• 10 Replies

Dopey113

Rootrainers
« on: February 28, 2016, 17:02 »
Has anyone used Rootrainers at all? they look like they are easy to use and less mess for the windowsill, the roots look amazing (if you believe the videos?) they are reusable, and easy to get out of the cells, is there a down side with them, they look too easy and too good to be true lol, (thanks me trusting everyone who advertises things) 
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Re: Rootrainers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 17:49 »
I use root raisers most of the time. Use the longer ones for beans and sweet corn. They last a good few years but be careful when opening them so as not to break the hinges. Haven't found a downside as yet except the price has gone up and I can't seem to be able to buy the trainers themselves without the plastic covers anymore.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 18:29 »
Thanks, I bought 2 depths, the 4 3/4 in and the 3 in, 32 cells each, for £10 (each) with the P&P included, if you look on Ebay you can find just the cells for sale,,, a 5 pack (of 4 cells = 20 cells) is £5.75 (free P&P)

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 18:31 »
I use the deep ones for my sweetpeas, this is their 3rd season of use and I haven't found a downside yet. The root system I got the last two years was every bit as good as on the videos. I have to agree with the post above, the hinges will probably be the first things to eventually fail.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:52 »
Ive had mine for about 5 years now, i think theyre great for sweetcorn, beans etc.
While the hinges on mine are still fine, the little clippy things that hold them together at the top have started to snap.
This isnt really an issue though as when theyre all together in the cage, theres no chance on them coming apart anyway.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:01 »
I managed to melt some of mine, can't remember how but I need a few replacements. Thanks for the pointer. Its a shame they're so expensive.

I also use them for beans and sweetcorn.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 15:49 »
Empty toilet rolls do exactly the same job for free.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 19:21 »

Yes, i'm an avid fan of loo roll tubes.... they are free and rot down well.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 23:07 »

No they do not. Loo rolls are difficult to water properly. They go mouldy. They fall apart when you lift them out.

Also root trainers work on the principle that the tips of any roots that reach the sides or bottom are "air pruned" so that they form a dense root system that fills the units.

As you may have gathered I am a great fan. I have used then for 5 years. Superb for beans - broad, runner and French - also sweet corn and peas.

Peas are especially good. Put 4/5 seeds per unit, plant out when the first leaves are expanded, no later. Plant each unit spaced 6 inches along the row. I no longer plant any pea seed directly in the soil. I have some coming through on my windowsill now. They will go into the cold frame for about 10 days before planting out. If the weather is bad they will wait.

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 23:14 »
I do use loo rolls for planting and they do work and are free but they don't have the same result as rootrainers.

Rootrainers guide the roots downwards in the grooves and when they reach the bottom the roots dry out at the tips which encourages root branching further up, somewhat the same principle as 'air-pots'.

Loo rolls can cause the roots to start spiraling which can lead to girdling. If you look at the root structures when you dig the plants up at the end of the season you will probably find a more even downward trending roots on plants that come out of rootrainers and a more 'compressed' root system on those out of loo rolls.

Your mileage may vary.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 13:57 »
Hello all,
I've used roottrainers for many years (over ten) and as a previous reader noted be careful of the hignes breaking. Even then then do break but the two halves are still useable.
Large ones for beans etc and the small ones for sweet peas.
I also use loo rolls which are good for beans, less root disturbance. But make sure when planting you cover the top of the roll, otherwise the loo roll acts as a wick and dries out the surrounding soil a little.

xx
Rootrainers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 11:52
by snowdrops
xx
Rootrainers

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 19:14
by waddecar
xx
B&Q Rootrainers £3.99

Started by penance on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 08:52
by chimaera

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.