Best greenhouse

• 8 Replies

timdunn

Best greenhouse
« on: October 28, 2013, 13:54 »
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a greenhouse for construction by spring 2014. I've been having a look round and there seem to be conflicting views on who makes the best ones and how easy they are to put up. Ideally,  the spec I'm looking for is:

1. 8x16ft
2. Glass
3. to sit on low wall 1-2ft wall foundation

I'd really value views and recommendations.

Also, are there any makes that are specifically designed to sit on a low wall (would prefer not to have a large hurdle to get into the thing!).

Thanks!

snowdrops

Re: Best greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 14:28 »
I don't know about the low wall,but I did a lot of research before I bought my 8 x10ft. Mine's a rhino from
http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk. Don't know if they do 10ft wide but I think they did. Quite a few of the tv gardener's have them. I was very satisfied with the service on ordering & subsequent delivery & haven't had any trouble with it. It's supposed to be very stronger & a lot taller than lots of others,came with more opening lights than most too.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

timdunn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 19:47 »
Thanks, Ive been considering a Rhino, but they don't seem to make them to suit anchoring on top of a wall. I think they're called 'dwarf wall' greenhouses in the trade.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 21:13 »
I have an Elite Thyme Dwarf Wall 8 x 6 greenhouse which I had installed this time last year, I absolutely love it.  Try as I might I still haven't figured how to post pictures on here but I will take a photo in the morning a see will my daughter show me how to post it.

timdunn

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:00 »
I've decided on a Rhino 'Harvester' adapted to fit a dwarf wall. Had no idea they could do this, as nothing on their site. Costs £100 more but worth it in the long run I think. Have been looking into getting the wall built and am thinking of using breeze blocks. Two seperate builders have said these would be ok. Has anyone out there used these - would value a second opinion. Thanks!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 11:06 »
Make sure you use at least medium density concrete blocks rather than anything aerated or lightweight which will not be water or weatherproof.

My greenhouse stands on a base constructed from concrete bricks rather than blocks because I didn't need that much additional height (plus the concreted area I was building it on wasn't level so a certain amount of creative bricklaying was required!  ::))

I have some medium density blocks which have been used for a variety of temporary applications, and they are still in good condition after about 5 years of being exposed to all the elements outdoors without any sort of protection, although you can of course paint them to both seal them and make them look a bit more appealing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46 »
I've decided on a Rhino 'Harvester' adapted to fit a dwarf wall. Had no idea they could do this, as nothing on their site. Costs £100 more but worth it in the long run I think. Have been looking into getting the wall built and am thinking of using breeze blocks. Two seperate builders have said these would be ok. Has anyone out there used these - would value a second opinion. Thanks!

I had meant to post again & suggest you contact them & ask about adapting to suit your needs. Can I ask why you want a small wall,is it just for the height or some other reason out of interest?

timdunn

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 23:30 »
Thanks for the advice! The builder who's going to put up the wall said he would use high density blocks as he already uses these for conservatory foundations. Good to know he knows his stuff  :) I didn't know you could paint the blocks to help with preservation, so will certainly do this. There are several reasons for the wall: height (plan to grow a peach tree at one end); to absorb heat/reduce fluctuation (esp dips at night); to allow me to build raised beds on the inside; and to protect lower panes from accidental damage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 23:32 by timdunn »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:11 »
A couple of coats of exterior masonry paint did the job for me - only things to remember are not to seal in moisture by painting when the blocks and mortar are wet, and not to leave it for so long that the surface is dirty and possibly starting to grow a covering of algae (it can still be done but you will have a lot more work to do on preparation.)

xx
greenhouse

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post December 27, 2006, 14:34
by Bigbadfrankie
thumbdown
greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 19:14
by adal
clip
GG's greenhouse needs some TLC.

Started by Goosegirl on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 13:21
by Goosegirl
xx
Best 6x8 Greenhouse

Started by wil4025 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 19:24
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 40 queries.