"Chickenese" questions

• 4 Replies

Neelam

"Chickenese" questions
« on: September 14, 2014, 20:01 »
I would like to get some information about the "chickenese" my six girls have developed since the new trio has arrived yesterday to interpret it right.

After the new girls finally felt encouraged enough by me digging the soil next to their run and my kids throwing them some worms into the run to stay out, my three Sussex girls kept sort of patrolling around and from time to time I could hear a sound, almost like a cooing sound, I couldn't figure out from the distance whether it came from the newbies or the old flock. I have heard a similar noise from our youngest Sussex when she is in the nest and I am near the opening of the coop she makes this noise that so far I did interpret as a friendly reminder not to come too close and disturbing her peace although, even when I still cleaned the droppings around her inside the coop she never tried to peck me. So now I wonder what exactly this cooing means.

Next the newbies kept sticking their beaks through the mesh of their run as if they wanted to get a closer sniff of the others outside the run or like sticking a finger to say hello through it. The Sussex "chatted" a lot today with me and among themselves. The noise they make when being about to lay or having laid I got every time I came into the garden and the Sussex, all three, came always running towards me, making this noise as if they were so excited about the new arrival that they all three wanted to tell me this news like the breaking news of the day.

Meantime the newbies kept walking up and down the run like looking for an exit to check out the other side of the run.

And putting all this together, besides my very own excitement, can I take all this as a good sign for a bright future happily together (ever after inclusive) or do I misinterpret them, putting my own positive impression into their beaks although they might tell each other to be aware of the day they find each other without a mesh wire in between?

Thanks, Neelam

Springlands

Re: "Chickenese" questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 21:32 »
The cooing sound (it always reminds me of a cat purring) is contentment - all is well in your hens world. My hens - particularly the Sussex - purr a lot when they are drifting off to sleep. You can hear them from outside their house.

As for how they will behave when the newbies and the oldies meet - that is harder to tell - but it sounds promising - just keep a close eye on them for a few days.

Hens are very vocal - mine always greet me when I go into the run - especially if they think that I have treats for them.  :D

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 21:43 »
I think the purring can have different meanings, the low purring with no eye contact is happy.
A louder purring with strong eye contact and narrowing of the pupils means the other hen is going to get a pecking if she does not watch her step! :)

Neelam

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 22:09 »
Hm, I will keep a close eye on them once they meet first time free, but for the next time they will be separate until they seem to be content in their new environment.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 22:11 by Neelam »

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 22:38 »
I have Roberta (a bantam) and her chicks (marans)in their own run with my other 3 free ranging around.
Unluckily Roberta will be picked on to remind her she is the bottom of the pecking order, so I will sit in the garden and play cockerel. Her chicks though will be interesting as 1 is already showing dominance signs(both hens) and will no doubt learn who is boss.
If too much hen pecking then the most dominant spends time out.

xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium
xx
"Barrier" Louse powder for mites

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 21:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
Healthy weight - "keel bone"?

Started by laurabee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 12:10
by andreadon

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 28 queries.