treats for hens

• 32 Replies

JORGE

treats for hens
« on: May 17, 2013, 13:37 »
Hi just looking for ideas of treats I can give to my hens.... I introduced them to "meal worms" and "fishing maggots" which they all love but conscious I don't want them to get bored....any other suggestions?

8doubles

Re: treats for hens
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 13:43 »
A handful of budgie or finch tonic mixed seed will keep them busy for a while is you scatter it in and around a thick shrub/ dwarf conifer . :)

They have to work hard to find the tiny seed .

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 14:17 »
I would keep the meal worms and maggots to a minimum as they are full of protein and could cause problems.

A small amount of mixed corn or seed as 8doubles said scattered is a good way to stop boredom.  If they have plenty of space they usually don't need much to keep them occupied.  A cabbage hung up for them to peck at is good as it helps them absorb calcium and is so funny to watch.   ;)

Even a handful of their layers pellets scattered is more appetising to them as long as none is left to get wet as mould will form within a day.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 14:21 »
My hens went mad for a slice of pumpkin hung up on a bit of string.  Once they got the hang of dodging the flying pumpkin, they devoured it in a flash! They also liked the seeds so a handful of pumpkin seeds keeps them occupied.

They also like natural yoghurt as a special treat although they manage to get it all over their tufty heads (like paintbrushes!) and have white beaks for a little while.  Makes me laugh anyway  :D

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 14:24 »
when walking to my plot i collect a handful of nettles(gloves on)and dandelion leaves and throw them in they love em ,sometimes scatter some corn around and sometimes some mealworms i try differ something everyday ,probably spoiling them but they look happy and as soon as they hear my gate open they at there gate lookin for me lolol

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 14:41 »
Farmandpetplace sell a product called 'chicken treat'. It is made up of seeds, wheat, corn........ my hens go loopy for it.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 15:42 »
Old apples/pears... (you know the ones you carry to and from work with the good inentions of a healthy snack!!)

Don't give mine many treats, but they do have a good chance to rummage around the garden...

Hannah :)

splash101

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 16:02 »
Anything you can hang up is good as it takes longer to finish. If you hang it just out of reach so they have to work at getting it.

You can hang whole heads of broccoli cauliflower cabbage swede whole sweetcorn. Hard vegetables seem to hang better.

I empty the contents (if theres any left) of the bird  feeders from our aviary at the end of the week. It's most likely all husks but it keeps them entertained trying to sift out any little morsel that may have been left.

They do go a bit giddy for pumpkins, they cant leave them alone.

Mine turn their beaks up at carrots and peppers, unless they think the rabbit is getting it and they suddenly show a bit of interest.

I'm a bit tight when it comes to treats for the chucks. They get all the nutrients from the pellets and they get to free range.

Prod

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 16:33 »
Mine love sliced apple, dandelion leaves and tinned sweetcorn, I have never seen anything eaten so fast!!! they also love grapes  but are not too keen on green veg.  I tend to leave large stones or pieces of wood on the field  and first thing in the morning, or when it is a bit damp, I roll them over and they go mad for the worms and insects.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 22:54 »
Old apples/pears... (you know the ones you carry to and from work with the good inentions of a healthy snack!!)

Aha! I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds shrivelled apples in the bottom of my work bag  :lol:
My special treat for the girls is grapes. I buy them some about once a month.

My daughter has a lizard. When I take the box of crickets outside to take some out for the lizard, I literally have to fight the chickens off, as soon as they see the box I keep them in, they go mad.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19 »
mine get any extra rice, macaroni, spagetti I have ledft over (always put a bit too much in the pan)

Then they get any dandelions I find, weeeds and seed heads, a handful of mixed corn thrown in keeps em busy for a while, and yes a hanging cabbage is good, never tried a pumpkin though, so that is something new to try (do I cut it in half ? the skin is a bit thick for them to get through)

Nope mine wont touch carrots or peppers either

But I dunno if you could call it a treat, but they get layers mash as a porridge for breakfast every day, and that lsts less than an hour (I mix up ground egg shells and oyster shell grit in that)

They also go out and ruin the lawn for a couple of hours each day and hunt in the bushes :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

splash101

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33 »
I just slice the top off the pumpkin and they do the rest. By the time they have done with it, it looks like a deflated football.
It lasts a few days

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37 »
I just slice the top off the pumpkin and they do the rest. By the time they have done with it, it looks like a deflated football.
It lasts a few days

Great I'm off to get a couple now, and I'm going to hang it up (with the cabbage, cauliflower and broccili its looking like a vegetarians Christmas  :) )

SL

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 16:18 »
my chickens' favourite treat is tinned sweetcorn. I can even get them to take their verm-x worming pellets (which they hate) if it is mixed up in pureed sweetcorn!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 19:17 »
my chickens' favourite treat is tinned sweetcorn. I can even get them to take their verm-x worming pellets (which they hate) if it is mixed up in pureed sweetcorn!

You have to be careful with tinned vegetables in case they have added salt which is not good for poultry.  If it is just in water it will be fine.   ;)

xx
Treats for hens.

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 14:39
by joyfull
xx
hens love grapes.... what other treats?

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 06:39
by symonep
xx
My hens have the runs, could this be worms or to many treats??

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:12
by ANHBUC
xx
Treats, treats and more treats

Started by Beano on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 11:33
by Arnfields

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.