Trimming toes Brahma

• 5 Replies

ehs284

Trimming toes Brahma
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:39 »
I was recently given two beautiful Brahmas (thanks N - all four are great) and have given them time to settle with the other 12 birds. They are now moving to free range with the other monsters. I thought that they were walking oddly, lifting their feet like an elephant which I put down to being natural for birds with such large feathers on their feet. To help them join in patrolling their range, I've cut back the feathers. They were amazing - so docile and appeared happy for the attention. The claws appear rather long and curved. Thinking that once the claws are a little shorter they will keep them trimmed themselves, I'd like to take a small amount off the claws. Sanding which reduces the risk of bleeding or hitting a nerve seems sensible. Sand paper seems logical - or even using a dremel - will this work? Has anybody used this method?
Thanks Chris

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Trimming toes Brahma
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:36 »
This article has loads of info and pictures, firstly of trimming spurs then goes on to claws.  Hope it is helpful.  Would use dog nail clippers as they are really strong.  Not sure they would like the sound or vibrations of a dremel.

http://ultimatefowl.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/199/

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 16:20 »
Many thanks. Really useful. Dremel safely in its box. How long would you consider to be about normal for claws on Brahmas? They are currently about 12-15mm. Do they actually need cutting? Our other birds have quite short toe nails (5mmish) and have never been cut, but then they have spent years free ranging and destroying peoples gardens. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 17:30 »
Not sure how long they are meant to be but think you can tell when they are too long as they will start to curl which will make walking uncomfortable.  Probably best to soak their feet first so that you might be able to see the quick.  Just take a little off at a time until you feel more confident.  Have heard that if it starts to bleed you can use a match lit then blown out and put on the claw to cauterise the bleed.  Don't know if it works though.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:22 »
Yes they are curling, so will get a proper clipper and make tiny inroads. Thanks again.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23 »
I would only attempt to trim the claws if they are long enough to force to claw sideways.  If you give the hens a varied surface to walk on and scratch through they will file thier nails accordingly.

As somehone who currently has a brahma or two, I can vouch that their claws are in proportion to their large body, and appear to be longer, in general, than my hybrids :)

Believe me when I say you don't have to take much off to cause bleeding (and when they bleed... they bleed!)  I stick to sanding now ;)

xx
How many toes

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 08:04
by raeburg
question
Puffyness between Hen's Toes

Started by JCK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 18:20
by joyfull
xx
bent toes

Started by betty on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 18:47
by raeburg
xx
New girl seems to have sore toes - HELP!!!

Started by babe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 19:09
by chickychick

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 29 queries.