I'm such a lucky girl

• 6 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
I'm such a lucky girl
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:43 »
I've been given about 40 beer bottles and plastic caps from freecycle so now I can try my hand at beer too  :D

The guy said they were bought from boots in the 80's and at some point he stored them in his mums loft and forgot they were there.

I tried to add a pic to this post from my phone but apparently the file size was too big so it wouldn't do it  :(

Anyway he said don't add too much sugar in the 2nd ferment as it can cause the caps to pop off! I am a bit worried about trying now just in case lol. A friend a while back tried beer and gave me a bottle to try it was gorgeous and when I asked him what it was he couldn't remember! He said he thought it was samson so looks like I need to get experimenting and find some beers I love  :D

As ever all advice appreciated

Many thanks

grinling

Re: I'm such a lucky girl
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 19:29 »
Wilko does a good range as well as tesco online. I use metal caps, but have found leaving the beer for months improve the flavour.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 23:18 »
I aim to leave some to improve but not sure I will resist drinking it all  :D

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 19:45 »
We did a bitter and a golden ale, both stored for at least 3months as they tasted awful

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 21:05 »
I like pretty well all of the Woodfordes range especially Wherry bitter and Norfolk Nog, although have made most of them at one time or another.  Prefer them to about all the competition.

Generally give them a little tickle with additional spraymalt.

Very drinkable as soon as they are clear enough but by the end of the run - which depending how many batches I have in bottle at the time can be as much as three years on - absolutely amazingly mature and complex (the brew based on Nog particularly so).

When sons come round they do try to ensure that the old stuff doesn't get overlooked.  Drat.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

grinling

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 21:56 »
tried kegs, but never worked, so need to rustle up more beer bottles..nog sounds interesting

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:14 »
Sons refer to the Nog brews as 'Gal-goblin' so a hint there as to which commercial nectar it sort of resembles....

Personally I tend to think of the especially boosted brews of Nog (aimed as a 'winter festival' brew) as more of an 'Old-ish Peculier'....

xx
Ain't I a lucky boy???

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 19:14
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.