new here and need some help with pumpkins

• 5 Replies

mollski

new here and need some help with pumpkins
« on: July 15, 2009, 21:37 »
HIto all i love the forum it looks great,ok  were do i start a friend of mine gave me a few pumpkin seeds to plant and grow for my boy ready for november,so i planted them in some pots and when they werebig enough i put them in the garden.has yet ive got no fruit or flowers on the 4 plants ive got,ive fed them once with some tom feed and thats all so ive come on here to ask for some help on how to get them massive if pos please?

i would also like to have a go at growing a few turnips and parsnipps,when is the best time to start and grow these?sorry but im a total newbie to this and love the whole thing would also like to start and keep 2 chickens if poss,hope you all can help me and thank you for your time and help

DavidT

Re: new here and need some help with pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 22:03 »
Good evening Mollski and welcome to the site.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 22:39 »
Welcome mollski

I'll pop you over to Grow Your Own for more people to see your specific post

Feel free to pop back to the Welcome Forum to introduce yourself  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gardeningguru

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09 »
HIto all i love the forum it looks great,ok  were do i start a friend of mine gave me a few pumpkin seeds to plant and grow for my boy ready for november,so i planted them in some pots and when they werebig enough i put them in the garden.has yet ive got no fruit or flowers on the 4 plants ive got,ive fed them once with some tom feed and thats all so ive come on here to ask for some help on how to get them massive if pos please?

i would also like to have a go at growing a few turnips and parsnipps,when is the best time to start and grow these?sorry but im a total newbie to this and love the whole thing would also like to start and keep 2 chickens if poss,hope you all can help me and thank you for your time and help

Hello,  when did you plant them?
Given that they are growing well,  you should expect to see flowers shortly, and fruit thereafter.   When they are fruiting do water ALOT, also if you want massive ones, I would cut off growing tips once you get a couple of fruits well established.

mollski

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:57 »
hi thanks for the reply i planted them the end of may<how do you mean cut of the growing tips please help thanks   :blink:

Gardeningguru

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:34 »
hi thanks for the reply i planted them the end of may<how do you mean cut of the growing tips please help thanks   :blink:

Sorry if I confused you.  :)  I only grow a trailing type butternut squash, and once i see some established fruit, I chop off the growing ends.  Not sure if regular pumpkins grow in a similar manner or not.  I imagine the principle should be the same though.

When I say growing tip/end I mean remove the shoots to stop the plant from getting bigger, this way it concentrates energy into the fruits, rather than more growth.

xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
pumpkins

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 21:33
by Missy1970
xx
Pumpkins

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 09:35
by beetrootboy

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.