Vacinations!!

• 2 Replies

Vonnie

Vacinations!!
« on: September 08, 2009, 13:52 »
Just been sat here reading all the great advise that is given on this site and I suddenly realsied that I have never thought about vaccinations.  Do I need to vaccinate them, if so how, what where, when etc etc etc.  This would apply to 5 laying hens and 5 chicks(1 week old).  I feel totally negligent now, as all my girls have been healthy i just haven't thought about it!!!! :wacko:
Vonnie

grumpydad

Re: Vacinations!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 15:45 »
vaccinations can be quite expensive, and some medications are given from day old chicks.
there is a lot of advice on the site, however some people never vaccinate, and have no problems, we had all vaccinated chucks, and lost 3 to diseases that they were vaccinated against, so it really can be a bit hit and miss, which was verified when i spoke to another breeder.
one of the main ways to help your chucks is to keep them clean, in the coop and run, to stop any possible build up of places for disease to get a hold.
regular poop scoops, and disinfectants of the coop and run.
the cleaner the better (without going over the top) and you should have healthy hens.
just remember, even vaccinated chucks can catch a disease and die.

Vonnie

Re: Vacinations!!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 18:02 »
Thank you Grumpydad (love the name)

My decision is made.  I wont vaccinate but will continue to keep my chucks as happy, clean & healthy as possible.  I am a fretter, so thanks for your advice
Vonnie

xx
Vacinations

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 12:00
by compostqueen
xx
Pet Duck Vacinations

Started by darrena on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 13:15
by Sassy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.