Newbie to the chicken world

• 6 Replies

geoffwales

« on: June 17, 2008, 22:56 »
Hi all, ive been reading the forum with some interest to the point im trying to pursuade the wife into letting me keep some chickens.

I have a few questions though and would be grateful if anyone could help.

1. I sometimes work away and wifes not in best of health what sort of time in morning would you open the coop as i may be able to get an elderly neighbour to help.

2 I may ask the farmer (at the back of my house) for a small bit of his land to rent maybe 10x10 or 10 x 20 to get me started, how many would i be able to put in the smaller plot 100ft sq iwas thinking of about 4? to start with.

3 would you go to the expense of an electric fence or a foxwatch.

4. Are chickens loud as i have neighbours either side.

5. Im saving up to be tight so im gonna make my own coop any plans.

6. How much time realisticly would say four chickens take to look after.

7 and last but not least whats a typical daily routine in looking after chickens

8 and last one could i put a beehive in the pen aswell without it bothering the chickens

I know to many  questions but hoping anyway.

Thanks
Geoff

Nats

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14 »
Hi Geoff I can't answer all your questions, but the ones I can are...

1. I sometimes work away and wifes not in best of health what sort of time in morning would you open the coop as i may be able to get an elderly neighbour to help.

You can get an automatic pop-hole that opens and closes without you but I think they're about 70 pounds. Some people on here use them and like them. We just get up and let them out. To lay eggs they need 14 hours daylight and mine put themselves to bed at about 9pm so if I'm not up before I always make sure they're out by 7:30 at the latest. A few times I've had a lie-in and they don't complain. I'm not sure they can tell how light it is outside when they're inside. I would say 8am at the latest.

3 would you go to the expense of an electric fence or a foxwatch.

I live in a city so my situation's different but from what I've learnt on here, if you live anywhere rural (especially keeping chickens on farmland!) it would be worth your while to get an electric fence. That's what my supplier told me as well.
I'm not good at measurements but perhaps electric proofing your area would be cheaper than making a fox-proof fence around it - lots of weld-mesh and wood etc.

4. Are chickens loud as i have neighbours either side.

No, they cluck happily and quietly unless they're afraid. Don't get a cockerel.

6. How much time realisticly would say four chickens take to look after.

Not much more than the two I have I would guess. 2 mins in morning to let them out, feed them, water them. Check on food/water supplies in day. Put them away at night (30 secs). People recommend cleaning them out once a week and disinfecting every 3 weeks which takes a bit more time. I tend to clean more often.

geoffwales

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 18:08 »
Thanks for the advice Nats, now i need help convincing the wife

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 18:14 »
you can't really get them, go away and leave them to your missus if she's not in good health, it wouldn't be fair to her or the chickens  :(  It's not too bad at this time of year but when it's cold, wet and windy then it wouldn't be much fun for your wife if she was not feeling too well

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 19:03 »
Hello from just outside sunny Llanelli! :lol: well ok.. if you're near you'll know it's not sunny today but hey.. it's been lovely recently! :lol:

daz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 19:08 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
Hello from just outside sunny Llanelli! :lol: well ok.. if you're near you'll know it's not sunny today but hey.. it's been lovely recently! :lol:

carmarthen man  here

geoffwales

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 23:51 »
Hi compostqueen, you are right thats why i mentioned about getting a  neighbour to do it, he's a fit old bloke but i wouldnt want to drag him out of bed to early. The other thing i forgot to ask can a large kennel be adapted to use as a coop its 48" long 36" wide and 36" high also how many nest box's do you put in for say 4 hens and how many and what height do you put perches in it.

Geoff

xx
Newbie with ill chicken... Please help.

Started by Shoskyns on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 17:40
by Shoskyns
xx
Help for chicken newbie

Started by VikkiSpells on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 18:25
by rosegarden
xx
newbie chicken owner.

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 22:01
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
newbie chicken advice

Started by andyf75 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 16:29
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 38 queries.