Age of introductions

• 6 Replies

Debbieta

Age of introductions
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:22 »
Hi everyone,
Just a thought and trying to think ahead !!!
I have 4 5 week old chicks and 11  2-3 week old chicks which eventually I want to introduce.  Has anyone got a thought as to what age might be best to do this.  My first thought is possibly around the youngest being 6-7 weeks if their size is more similar on the basis they might bully less???
Debbie

grinling

Re: Age of introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 21:03 »
can you put them in seperate houses and runs so they can see each other?

Debbieta

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 19:25 »
Hi Grinling,
Yep, in a couple of weeks I'll move them into ajoining pens once they're of heat so they can get used to each other.  Would I guess right that after a short time (poss a week or so) I could put them then in together?
Thanks,
Debbie

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 19:40 »
I would try that Debbie, it is always a bit of wait and see.  Once they are more used to each other you could try mixing them during the day to see how they react.

I have a similar problem but putting one 6 week old (cockerel) in with nine 5 week olds.  I have taken their broodies out as they do tend to have the chicks panicking when I go in their pen.  They are well feathered and don't need their mums for heat.  I am hoping that they will calm down and get used to being handled without their mum warning them of danger.   ::)

I have put the 6 week old in with the others this afternoon and one of the other young cockerels did face up to him for a second.   :lol:  They seem to have accepted him in their run but he is a little unsettled.  I will just have to see how things go tonight and if he will join them in their coop or not.  He is actually brother and sister to the others but from an earlier hatch so I hope they all settle down together. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 20:11 »
make sure they are on the same food with more than one container for food and water as well as grit.
My 19week old is still seperate as my older are less than kind, but she is learning the corn pot sound as well as still on growers. She has mixed a few times well and will move in next door soon. Looking forward to blue eggs.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 21:18 »
I have shut my little ones in for the night with only the slightest of fuss.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

Debbieta

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:04 »
Hi,
I was going to wait til the are being introduced/ onto growers mix and yes make sure more than one of drinker and feeder
Ta
Debbie

xx
Introductions

Started by cejx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 19:46
by cejx
xx
Introductions

Started by Tina&Tony on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 07:59
by Jellyhead
xx
when to do formal introductions???

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 23:00
by Kathie
xx
Hen introductions and noise!

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:08
by lucylou

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.