seed V plugs

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

seed V plugs
« on: April 24, 2018, 19:55 »
with the inclement weather this year we seem to have bought more plug plants than actually raising plants from seed maybe its not been warm enough to take the chance

i draw the line at spending huge amounts of money at the garden centres but i supose if you whant an instant garden and not bothered about what you spend then the G/C are the ideal choice when i see these garden makovers people comming in with armfulls of plants in lage pots no expence spared

so whats your choice seed plugs or G/C  ready to plant pots

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: seed V plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06 »
Depends what I want  :lol:  I do grow a lot from seed, but it doesn't stop me buying plugs or potted plants.  If I have a gap and my cabbage seeds have failed, I grab a plug plant tray.  Similarly, if I see a potted plant I really want and I have the cash, I buy it.

Gardening should be about enjoying yourself, be it through a show of flowers or growing fruit and veg.  I've worked in normal garden centres and nurseries selling the big specimen plants you see on makeover programmes, so I don't judge.  People come and fill trolleys, usually with huge smiles on their faces and enjoying every second of it all.  It pays a lot of wages and supports a huge industry  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:32 »
I grow practically all my veg from seeds but have on occasions bought some in but have never been happy with the results & always feel I’ve cheated, I know that’s not the case really. I do buy perennial flowering plants etc as I’m a plantaholic but it gives me great pleasure but as the garden has filled up in recent years that’s been few & far between. There are worse vices lol. I don’t smoke, I have an occasional tincture as Growster would advise, so no harm done & I get so much pleasure & healing from my gardening it’s cheap & twice the price.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 18:28 »
 yes I have to say I've had some great deals from  suppliers at Manchester and jersey very good prices also we have a little nursery near us that also sells there plants a lot cheaper than many G/C well worth supporting

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:03 »
I use plugs when I only want a few of a certain variety. Some cabbages for example. I don't need 12 cabbages of each and buying seeds would leave a lot to throw away after a few years.
About 3 times each spring there is a market at the plots where we pay 15 ct for a plug. This year I was al little late sowing earlies and in the green house the mice ate all the pumpkins, cucumbers and and, so treated myself to some lettuce and cabbages to still have a few veg at the beginning of season

I am trying to get my own seeds as much as possible, but it hasn't worked out yet :) Up till now just radish, brussel sprouts, celery, chervil, tomatoes, chillies, peppers and bear leek?..

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:52 »
I try to grow most things from seed but like everyone else (so it seems  :D) I am notavesre to getting plugs when I feel it necessary. If I have run out of compost for example and don't want another bag until next spring, or if seeds have failed they are a good fallback.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 15:42 »
I prefer to grow from seed and it's surprising how long they can be viable, but do order plugs if things don't work out. I really don't mind as long as I get to harvest the produce and the supplier is reliable.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 17:12 »
By choice I'd grow everything possible from seed, but sometimes there is just not enough space in the greenhouse or on the windowsills at the right time, or there is a real failure.

I am always glad there are plug plants available then!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
seed deliveries

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 21:25
by Tenhens
xx
Seed watching

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2022, 14:45
by MrsPea
xx
seed potatoes

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2019, 11:16
by rowlandwells
xx
Seed Catalogues!! How many??

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post January 07, 2022, 16:53
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 47 queries.