plastic lineing coop

• 32 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: plastic lineing coop
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 22:08 »
Markw, this stuff you use, the cim-800.  The picture only showed the tin.  does it paint on really thickly and look like a thick grey fibreglass?

We've been to a couple of shows, Joy and myself, and have seen coops with a really thick grey coating on the roof and wondered what it was.

If it is, it would be brilliant.  Like you said, it makes the roof watertight and as it paints on, there is no way would mites be able to get underneath it.

Raven81

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 22:15 »
Joe, don't get too disheartened.  When I started I asked loads of questions, I thought I'd never get there.  Every time I thought I found a way to make life easier it turned out it wouldn't work.

I have to admit I ignored the advice about not felting the roof, thinking "I'll just keep them really clean and there's no chance they'll get red mite"... A couple of months later I had them!

I learned the hard way!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 22:54 »
Hi GrannieAnnie.

I have used the grey fiberglass stuff as well it's an epoxy with fiberglass strands but it is prone to crack as it has very little stretch  in the material. they use it on flat roofs.

The stuff I would always use (800) is a two part rubber a dull Matt black color. you can either brush it on or use a roller, it will stretch like an elastic band. you should apply 2 coats. The second coat is applied one hour after the first coat , it all sets in a couple of hours .

You can paint it after if you wish , a solar reflective paint on the roof might help in keeping the coop cool on hot sunny days. The thing is that you don't need to use wood in your construction. I am planning in using a high impact closed cell foam that is very light. the whole coop would only weigh about 20kg for a 8 bird coop. mind you,you would need to weigh it down otherwise it could blow away. the good thing is you can pick it up and move it as you require.

I am still looking to find coop sizes or a rule of thumb for perches and number of nest boxes sizes etc for 6 to 8 girls before I start to build mine. any pointer would be welcome
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Plastic coop

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 10:17
by Vecten
xx
Plastic shed for a coop?

Started by jools68 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 13:24
by grinling
xx
Plastic chicken coop comparisons...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 13:25
by Hen 1-0 Fox
clip
Can I make a plastic outdoor storage box into a coop?

Started by Borge Reroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2021, 21:14
by grinling

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.