Crimson Crush tomato

• 8 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Crimson Crush tomato
« on: November 14, 2018, 14:09 »
Another plug for Crimson Crush tomato.

I've been eating them for 14 weeks, and ate the last today.

Grown from seed sown under clingfilm (APR 7) and germinated in kitchen. Then into cold conservatory.  Planted out onto stakes (MAY 20) on a standard allotment. Picked first fruit JULY 20.

Picked the last green fruit just before the cold nights hit and ripened them in a cold conservatory.

Huge crop, no blight or problems. This is the third year they've done me proud.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Crimson Crush tomato
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 14:28 »
How did they do blight-wise last year when it was a much wetter and humid summer?

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 14:39 »
How did they do blight-wise last year when it was a much wetter and humid summer?
I've grown them for three years now, and never had a problem with blight, with a continuing crop into November in all three years.  I have also grown Mountain Magic, a smaller, blight resistant tomato for the past two years.  The only thing I would note is that this year, with the long, hot summer, although I kept the tomatoes on the plot watered as best I could, the Crimson Crush did show a bit of blossom end rot, but the Mountain Magic sailed through perfectly, as well as both  varieties showing no signs of blight.
For next year there is yet another variety of the "Crimson" family which is Crimson Blush, a large, beefsteak tomato, so I'm going to give this a go alongside the other two.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 15:10 »
I like the look of Crimson Blush too... Crimson Crush has been excellent regardless of blight/ cooer conditions or this year's baking hot weather.

Mountain Magic & Ferline alos did well this Summer
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 19:29 »
Thanks for that! I grow all my toms in the tunnel, but I know a few people who have virtually given up on toms because of blight and I'll recommend Crimson Crush for them next year :)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 20:29 »
I've been running an experiment since getting some Crimson Crush a few years ago.

We saved the seed each year, and watched several plants grow normally, while some reverted, and weren't that good!

But none of them got blight, so there was some sort of result! This year we didn't grow more than half a dozen, but they all thrived, so taking seed each year can work, even on less than a full complement of plants!

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 23:55 »

No problems.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:51 »
Reading with interest since the blight incident on our plot this year... sound too good to be true; great flavour, size & zero blight?

I've read these are indeterminate but can be grown as bush types owing to the small number of side shoots, has anyone tried growing them as a bush type? What was the yield like?

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21 »
I haven't actually grown them as a bush on purpose, but I have two allotments and due to family commitments this year, I didn't have as much time to spend on the plot.  Consequently the Mountain Magic in particular got away from me a bit, so I just let them do their own thing and grow as bushes,and they produced masses and masses of fruit, so much so that I was disappearing literally under a "Magic Mountain" of tomatoes. 
Note for next year - grow fewer plants!!

xx
Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 12:54
by Puenktchen
xx
Crimson Crush tomato family

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 20:36
by tangojulie
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - blight resistant?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2017, 08:27
by Lardman
xx
crimson crush tomato growing 2016

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 12:44
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 39 queries.