Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?

• 7 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:50 »
Growers' opinions, please.

steved

• Experienced Member
Re: Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 16:35 »
A bit like the blight resistant potatoes for me im afraid......tasteless.
Id rather confine myself to growing toms in the greenhouse only if im honest, so wont be growing them again
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 17:13 »
Funny old situation here...

Last year, we had three free plants, which did a few small trusses, but were just OK.

I took some seed, and sowed it this year, and some plants reverted to blighted toms, while a couple just did the business, with huge fruits with not too much flavour, but at least a crop to freeze and nosh as bruschetta, with loads of garlic etc!

I think, if the seed I've saved from these two successful plants does the business next year, I'll always have some growing on the Patch, and maybe at home again, as they at least give some hope in a bad blight year.

We'll see!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:51 »
Ours stood up well to the blight, and fruits were numerous, large and a good strong red colour. Not the tastiest tomato but certainly not the worst; ours were used for sauce and did the job

Worth growing if you only have outdoors space imho
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:26 »
The only plants I had to go down with blight, only 1 ripe tomato from them and a washing up bowl of green ones sitting in the greenhouse going brown with blight.  It's not been a good year here for tomatoes anyway, but last year they weren't much better either. 

I won't be bothering with them next year.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 15:03 »
Planted eight seed grown plants on the plot, and have had thirty seven pounds of toms from them.  There are still more on the plants, probably about five pounds, but they are starting to go down with blight now.  Huge, juicy tomatoes, without too many pips, so great for cooking and making sauces.  As others have said, not the best tasting tomato, but a lot better than some, and certainly better than no tomatoes at all.  Apart from the rain, which I could do nothing about, I kept them on the dry side, and only watered when I absolutely needed to. I grow my greenhouse toms like this as well, and find that the flavour is much better when grown hard.  I'll certainly be growing Crimson Crush again next year.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 16:04 »
I grew plants last year and was not impressed by the taste of the fruit.

This year I've grown from seed. The taste is still not wonderful and, what's worse, about 10% of the fruit is blighted. The plants are fine (just a small amount of blight on some leaves) but the affected fruits are unusable. I don't think I'll grow them again.

I grew Mountain Magic in the same place and they're great, reasonable taste and don't appear to be blighted at all (yet).

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 12:54 »
I grew Crimson Crush from seed this year and I am quite pleased. Big strong healthy plants with huge tomatoes. Could harvest the first tomatoes end of July which was great for outdoors. The taste is about average I would say, but was much better than the yellow tomatoes I had this year. The plants were still growing and mostly healthy (just a few spots of blight) last week but I took them down now. All other not blight-resistant tomatoes I grew outside were a lot more affected by blight.

I will certainly grow Crimson Crush again next year.

xx
Crimson Crush tomato

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 10:21
by jaydig
xx
Crimson Crush tomato family

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 20:36
by tangojulie
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - blight resistant?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2017, 08:27
by Lardman
xx
crimson crush tomato growing 2016

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 12:44
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.